Monday, November 24, 2014

A Time of Thanks? Not So Much.

Everyone has been jumping on the blogging bandwagon these past few weeks and talking about thankfulness.  Gee, I wonder why?  Could it have something to do with turkey?

By the way, we're having ham.  All these years I've been cooking turkey and everyone prefers ham. Huh.

At any rate, since it's a busy week, I won't inundate your mailbox with more than today's post. 

I won't bore you with all that I'm thankful for. Most likely, it's the same list as yours. Family, friends, health, a job, a safe place to live, a warm bed, good health, freedom to worship a glorious God.  

Yes, I'm thankful for all of those things. And I'm not trying to diminish thankfulness. Not at all!

However, this time of year is not a cause for celebration for everyone.  Some folks are estranged from their families. Others have lost loved ones, and are still grieving. Still others are just lonely or depressed. They're told to be grateful and joyful and they feel anything but. They want to hide under the covers until it's all over, or punch all the happy people in the face. 

Let's not be too hard on those folks. In fact, let's invite them in and give them a hot cup of coffee, a warm piece of pie, and a listening shoulder. Let's try to understand where others are when they're not where we are. Let's learn to listen.


For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me...truly I tell you whatever you did for one of the least of  these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me. (Matthew 25: 35-40)

Finally, in my own little self-absorbed blog world, I'd like to thank you, my readers. Without you, if no one reads it, what's the point of blogging? Thank you for listening to my ramblings!

I'm so grateful for all of you, and I do pray for you.  I may not know every visitor who stops by, but I do know who is on my email subscriber list, and whenever one of you comes to mind, I stop and pray.

When you're feeling blue, lonely, grief-stricken or disconnected, come on in and have a virtual cup of coffee, a virtual piece of pie, and know that you're always welcome in my virtual world, as well as my physical one.

Blessings Along the Path,
Mary

Shating today with Holly at Testimony Tuesday, Judith at Wholehearted Wednesday, Joan at Sharing His Beauty

5 comments:

  1. So true, there are a lot of hurting people. I've finally learned that when I'm at my loneliest, My Father is still there, still waiting for me to acknowledge Him. To comfort, to love. Took a long time for me to learn this. I pray others who are searching to fill that empty void learn this Truth way before I did! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, Carrie, so many are floundering. But even the strong and mature ones in Christ sometimes struggle. None are immune to sadness. It's as you say, reaching out to the Father. Thanks for stopping by

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog, Mary! You have the same name as my sweet mama and my sweet oldest daughter, who has three boys of her own. Thanks for leaving a kind comment on my Cottage Dreams post. I just added some more photos to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with this post on thankfulness. We are active in homeless ministry, and I know that my friends are having a hard time staying warm and dry with the heavy rains we've been having in Orlando. I've been bringing them blankets and tarps, and last winter I brought them a lot of hot chocolate made with whole milk.

      Delete
    2. Oh, and I also just remembered that I have a post similar to yours: "It's a Wonderful Life???" http://virginiaknowles.blogspot.com/2014/11/grateful-grace-3-its-wonderful-life.html. I also have a recent post on homeless ministry here: http://watchtheshepherd.blogspot.com/2014/11/what-love-looks-like-reaching-out-to.html

      Delete