Wednesday, November 19, 2014

On Being the Funny Bone in the Body of Christ

Our bodies have many parts, but the many parts make up only one body when they are all put together. So it is with the "body" of Christ.

If the foot says, "I am not a part of the body because I am not a hand," that does not make it any less a part of the body. And what would you think if you heard an ear say, "I am not part of the body because I am only an ear and not an eye."? Would that make it any less a part of the body? Suppose the whole body were an eye---then how would you hear? Or if your whole body were just one big ear, how could you smell anything?

But that isn't the way God has made us. He has made many parts for our bodies and has put each part just where he wants it. What a strange thing a body would be if it had only one part! So he has made many parts, but still there is only one body. (I Cor 12:12, 15-19, TLB)

Chances are, you've heard this teaching at least once. I guarantee, this one's different. Please read on.

Have you ever considered what part of the body you would be?
Mary, wearing her"special" sunglasses:
For partly sunny days (the lens fell out)
If you're a blogger/writer, you probably consider yourself a hand, or a mouth, because a finger isn't very glamorous. And you have to share the hand with nine other fingers. Well, technically seven. Thumbs are in a class of their own. (Those are apparently the Clumsy in Christ---you know..."all thumbs?")

If you like to speak, you probably consider yourself a mouth. 

If you pastor, teach or evangelize, you most likely consider yourself a mouth.


Did you ever notice that there are a lot of mouths in the Body of Christ?

We all want to be a hand. Or a mouth. Or a heart. Or a mind/brain. Those are the glamorous parts of the body.

No one wants to be the gall bladder. That's just a storage unit. And apparently it can be taken out at any time, so we must not really need it. Nobody wants to risk not being needed.

You would think that the liver is a pretty gross job. But actually, the liver's job is to clean the blood and produce bile, an important digestive liquid. It also stores energy in the form of sugar. So the liver of Christ would be someone like a counselor; someone who helps to clean up a new Christian, renewing them with the cleansing blood of Christ, and mentors them with bile that helps them digest the Word of God, energizing them with the sweetness of Christ if you will.

Okay, it's a stretch, but let's get creative here! As we read in 1 Corinthians, we can't all be the eye or the heart or the mouth. So you have to pick something else.

I wanted to be a mouth, but I was immediately disqualified on a technicality. My foot is usually in my mouth, and I'm only allowed one body part. That's technically two.

I think I'm the funny bone.



The funny bone is located on the inside of the elbow. It's actually not a bone at all, but a nerve called the ulnar nerve which, when hit, gives you a strange sensation. You don't know if you should laugh or cry. It just feels weird.

I don't mind being the guinea pig in a group. I'm happy to be the brunt of the joke for the sake of breaking the ice. I'll venture out first when no one else wants to. I'm a bit strange or quirky, or weird, and I'm flexible (being located in the elbow necessitates flexibility).

I've always enjoyed entertaining people. I love to make people laugh. But I've been told that sometimes I have the ability to hone in on what's at the heart of the matter, thereby having the ability to allow people to feel safe and cry if they need to. 

In essence, people don't know whether to laugh or cry when I'm around them. 

So, funny bone it is.

I just hope I don't make them feel weird.

Ah well, it's better than being the rectum.

Blessings Along the Path,










sharing this post with Laura at Playdates With God, Holly at Testimony Tuesday, Rosilind at A Little R&R, Judith at Wholehearted Wednesday, Holley at Coffee For Your Heart, Shari at Word Filled Wednesday, Beth at Wedded Wednesday, Lyli at Thought Provoking Thursday, Crystal at Thriving Thursdays, Laura at Faith Filled Friday, Angie at Heart Filled Fridays, Deb at Blessing Counters, Barbie at The Weekend Brew, Janis at Sunday Stillness, Naomi at Monday Musings, Good Morning Mondays, Joan at Sharing His Beauty

25 comments:

  1. I love this! I have thought about this passage many times, but I've actually never really considered which part I would be. Thanks for stretching me here. ;-) I like that you're willing to be a part that others usually would not consider and can see the benefit in that. All parts are equally necessary. Very thought provoking post. -Abby (visiting from Coffee For Your Heart)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Abby. I truly had a blast with this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too perfect! Mary I love your writing style :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too funny, Mary! You had me laughing out loud! I loved every part of this--including the funny pic! Thanks for being willing to be a little self-deprecating (not to be confused with defecating, eh-hem! You're the funny-bone! Not the rectum! ha!). Thanks for tickling mine ... funny bone that is! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, your comment cracked ME up! Thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  5. You are so funny! I had a good laugh but at the same time, I am enlightened. This is really different from all the other teachings about this verse. Unique it is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, SuperLux (I went to your blogs and couldn't find your name...but I did like the line in your post about being single---the first time you went to the store and bought venetian blinds. Definitely a man job! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad God made some people to be the funny bone because we definitely need your type! And I'm definitely not it. ha. What a blessing funny bones are in our communities. Thank you for being who God made you to be, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh dear goodness, I needed that laugh! Better than being the rectum. Indeed. So fun to find you through Holley Gerth's linkup. I think I'm probably an eyelash. I help people keep the junk(y perspectives) out of their vision in life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL. Love this! This comes from a former PK who was always cracking jokes at the "wrong" time. One should not find humor in a funeral, for instance. :)

    (Visiting from the Thriving Thursday link up)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome! I laughed my way through this. You bring joy into others day easily. That is a gift!
    Blessings,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would like to think I'm a knee-helping people know which direction to go and where to step.
    In reality I am probably a thumb. Or a hangnail. Something gangly or awkward. But I am who God made me to be!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the creative parts of the body you all have come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good one, Mary! I think I may just be a liver...helping others souls to come clean so they can be all they are meant to be in Christ. But I love to laugh and don't mind laughing at myself so I guess I am a bit of a funny bone too. Enjoy the weekend and keep on laughing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, Sheila, I think you are. But think of the actual word--"Live-r" You also help them find new life! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is hilarious! I love the post and love that you are encouraging us all to embrace the place God has given us. Keep us laughing, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This made me laugh - and not quite cry, but it made me think, which is at least as good. :-) Thanks for a light-hearted and insightful look at a familiar passage of Scripture!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, I loved this! So glad I found your post at Darling Downs Diaries link up.
    ~Candy
    P.S. I'd be honored if you'd consider sharing this post at our link up one Wednesday (like, today would be great). I know our readers will appreciate your fresh, thought provoking look at this well-known passage.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for sharing this on Coffee & Conversation!! LOVED it!!
    While not glamorous, the rectum is important, too...and, well, SOMEbody's got to do it...LOL

    Gotta spend some time thinking about what part I am this weekend...

    Hope to read more of your stuff in the future <3

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my gosh this is hilarious!!!! Love love love it. Those glasses are classic awesomeness. I think we might be cousins once removed or something.

    ReplyDelete
  20. They're for partly cloudy days, Melody.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm so glad you sent me the link to this post. It's wonderful! I needed the smiles that I got from it. G+ing it.

    ReplyDelete