Monday, November 3, 2014

Removing the Attractive Nuisance

Some of you may remember a post from last month called An Attractive Nuisance (If you missed it, click on the link and you can catch up!). I included a picture of the abandoned, run-down house next door. In case you missed it, here it is again.



An attractive nuisance is a term used by insurance agencies to describe something on a property which entices, but it also dangerous, like a pool or...well, an abandoned house. 

I mentioned in my previous post that sugar appears to be my "attractive nuisance." (Specifically, Mint Oreos!) It entices me, yet it's not good for me. 



It's that way with sin. 

It entices...yet it's dangerous.

It's really not so much the sin, but the temptation that's the attractive nuisance. 

The sin entices...that's temptation.

A pool entices a toddler. An abandoned house entices vandals. Sugar entices a sugar addict. And sin entices a soul.

But what happens when you remove the attractive nuisance?

I went to work the other day, and when I came home, the attractive nuisance next door was gone.



Hard to believe it's the same property,isn't it? I stood there for about ten minutes, just staring. It looked so completely different! Unencumbered. Bigger. A property with potential! 

The builder will begin construction on a new home soon. I don't know what it will look like, but I'm excited to watch the process of rebirth!

Removing the attractive nuisance from our lives leaves us unencumbered and with potential to become what our Builder desires. 

Without the attractive nuisance to remind us of our sin, our inability to resist temptation lessens. 

When the temptation is removed, so is the nuisance.

The simple solution to my sugar addiction is to simply remove the nuisance. Hello? DON'T BUY THE OREOS!

But it's never that easy. The temptation is everywhere I go! That's why I so desperately need Jesus.

Let's throw off any extra baggage, get rid of the sin that trips us up, and fix our eyes on Jesus, faith's pioneer and perfecter (Heb 12:1 CEB)

The house next door sat vacant for years. It was severely neglected to the point where the only solution was to raze it and start fresh.

Perhaps I need to raze my soul.

I need to start fresh.

Every day.

The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases 
      his mercies never come to an end
 they are new every morning
      great is your faithfulness (Lam 3:22-23)

I can do my part. I can remove the attractive nuisance. I can resist temptation. But I also realize that I can't do it on my own. I need the strength of the Lord. Because I fail. Often. Daily. 

But instead of beating myself up over my failure, my propensity to succumb to my attractive nuisance, I can choose to receive God's ever-flowing Grace.

Because His mercies are new every morning. 

Every morning I get to raze my soul afresh.

What a privilege and a blessing! How freeing! I can just stand there, unencumbered by the sin that weighs me down (literally!). Like I did when I looked at the neighboring property, and say, Wow! It looks so much better now. There is so much potential! I wonder what the Builder has planned for me?

Blessings Along the Path,








sharing this post with Janis at Sunday Stillness, Laura at Playdates With God, Naomi at Monday Musings, Joan at Sharing His Beauty, Holly at Testimony Tuesday

4 comments:

  1. Great post, Mary!! Never heard that term before, but I'm sure it was Providentially inspired for just such a post as this!! Great allegorical thoughts and so true. Thanks for posting!!
    Joy!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting - we have decided to not eat grains or sugar. We feel wonderful. I do the shopping - I have been sugar free for years but hubby has now come aboard. It's not hard when you ask Jesus to help, make the choice and stick to it.
    Blessings,
    Janis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a good, practical application, Mare! It will be interesting to see what the Builder has in mind. Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! We are writing about that too! http://www.maidservantsofchrist.com/detail.asp?DetailID=447&Return=/

    ReplyDelete