Monday, November 17, 2014

Stop Worshiping Silly Idols

Last weekend I was searching for some old writings that I'd done when I came across some other writings that I'd forgotten about.

I found this little nugget from several years ago. It was published in our church's women's newsletter. I thought it would be good blog material, so here it is. I hope it blesses someone today.



I recently had the opportunity to feel sorry for myself, and I took it...momentarily. I was at a function with a group of people who had decided to go out together after the function, but neglected to include me. I could have invited myself, but it's not in my nature to be so forward (that's sarcasm).  

Truth be told, I was waiting to be invited. I wanted to be included. And I wasn't. And that hurt.

There was a time in my life where that would have devastated me, and I would have left in tears. But as I drove home, I heard God whisper to me in my spirit. He was inviting me. 

I realized that no invitation comes close to one from the King of Glory.

I sing that He is my all in all, my everything, all I need, but when I'm excluded, something or someone else becomes what I need at that time, and I lose my hold on God. I forsake Him. I cleave to that which is in my face at the time, attempting to satisfy my flesh. The irony is that my flesh is far from satisfied. It is wounded.



When I got home, I told my husband about my hurt, and his very male response was, "I wouldn't let it get to you." His advice was simple and right, but women tend to make things more complicated than they need to be. 

Having been wounded, my flesh demanded even more attention.

So in an attempt to satisfy, I decided that I needed food, preferably something sweet. But there was nothing. Not even something sweet to drink, so I said, "I guess I'll just have a big glass of water. I'm getting fat anyway." My self-pity helped to feed the offense. 

But God was still standing there, inviting me, and He was waiting for my response. 

So I left my pity party, and went to my prayer place.

My bible "happened" to fall open to Jeremiah Chapter 2 and this specifically caught my eye:

Yet my people have given up their glorious God for silly idols! (v11)

For my people have done two evil things: They have forsaken me, the Fountain of Life-giving Water, and they have built for themselves broken cisterns that can't hold water . (v13)

The Hebrew word for forsaken means to loosen or relinquish. My desire to be included caused me to give up my glorious God and allow others to become my "silly idols." The need for acceptance became my cistern...one that could not hold water. 

I had turned my back on God, allowing my faith in God's total acceptance to be relinquished! 

This, we are told, is considered an evil thing. Instead of feeling sorry for myself, I needed to repent! And...I needed to forgive those who had unknowingly hurt me. Because deep down, I knew that they didn't purposely exclude me.

The funny thing is that I didn't want to go with them anyway! I needed to go home and be with my husband, whom I hadn't seen all day. It was late, and truthfully, close to bedtime. I simply wanted to be included. How quick we are to give up our peace for "silly idols!"

I remember very clearly that after this newsletter was published, one of the people who had excluded me (and who happened to go to my church) came up to me and said, "I read your piece in the newsletter. Was one of those people me?" I responded that yes, it was, and she was so upset that she'd hurt my feelings. She never intended to, as I knew. She thought that I'd been invited and declined (Which is what I would have done anyway). Most likely, everyone in the group thought someone else had invited me.

Don't let the silly idols of your fleshly desire to be accepted cause you to lose your peace, build a cistern that holds no water and forsake your God. The same God who invited me and then stood there, patiently waiting for my response, the same God who accepted and loved me even after I had forsaken Him is inviting you today.

What will your response be?


RSVP: JEREMIAH 33:3

Blessings Along the Path,









sharing this post with Laura at Playdates With God, Joan at Sharing His Beauty, Naomi at Monday Musings, Holly at Testimony Tuesday

4 comments:

  1. Isn't it funny how easily we can get our feeling hurt?

    I'm so thankful for God's grace tthrough which He sees me as His own dear child.


    Blessings to you, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, and more often than not, the "offender" is unaware. It's usually not intentional. And when we don't say anything, the offense grows. No wonder they're called silly idols! Thanks for stopping by Joe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read Janis's post about a paradigm shift and here is another perfect example of one. Don't you just love how God uses our hurting places to draw us near? Very lovely, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Laura. I read that post too. It was very good.

    ReplyDelete