Friday, December 19, 2014

Friend? Or Faux?

No, I did not spell that wrong. I know that it's "foe."  Stay with me.

This is my friend:



And this is my friend:

credit

THIS is my faux friend:



I don't very much like my faux friend. It lives in my basement. It pretends to be my friend. Whenever I do laundry, it stares oddly at me. It silently beckons me to come play. It mocks me when I don't. 

It quietly yells mean things to me, like "Hey Fatty, you gonna go eat some more chocolate and sit on the couch?" And laughs at me. When I ignore its comments, I hear its angry screams in my head: "Hey, I'm talking to you!"

It calls me names, like "Fatso," and "Lazy, and Lard-Ass"

For a friend that doesn't move, it sure likes to make fun of me when I don't move. For a friend that doesn't go anywhere, it sure likes to send me off on frequent guilt trips.

In terms of physical fitness, it is indeed my friend. In terms of enjoyment, it is a faux friend.

I actually hate my faux friend. Which makes it my foe...my enemy.

Because it is my enemy, I have a good excuse not to hang around my faux friend...my foe friend...

Therefore, I need not exercise.

Okay, maybe that's illogical reasoning.

The fact is, I don't mind exercising when it's outdoors. Walking, hiking, biking. But sitting on that dad-blamed stationery bicycle drives me nuts. It's far from enjoyable. It's downright aggravating. I don't feel better when I'm on it, and I don't feel better afterwards. Truth. So I ignore it. And resolve to go outside anyway, even if it's cold and dark. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. 

There are a lot of places I could go with this "faux friend" thing. 

First, we've all have faux friends, and I'm not talking about exercise bikes. Real people. Ones who are friends with us because we have a mutual friend. Or people we work with who tolerate us because they have to. Or ones who use us for their gain. Those who beckon us to join, and mock us when we leave. They gossip and slander us when we do something they don't like or approve of.

And...we've all been faux friends. At least I have. And I'd be willing to bet that you're not all that different from me. I've been the one who pretends to like someone for the benefit of a mutual friend, co-worker or personal gain. It's quite ugly. I've taken guilt trips, and I've sent people off on them, not really caring if they have advance notice or luggage. 

Last, we have a spiritual faux friend...foe...who also likes to pretend that he is our friend. Satan works the same way that blasted bike works. He silently beckons us, and then he mocks us. He calls us names, but he disguises his voice to make it sound like our own. He sends us on guilt trips...the longer the better. He doesn't really care if we ever come back. He insidiously inserts himself into our thinking until we don't know if what we're thinking is friend or foe. 

It's all faux.

And it's important to learn to recognize it as such.

Faux is not genuine. Imitation. Not real.

While satan is real, he is not genuine. And he is never original.  

Like the stationery bike that aggravates me to no end because it doesn't go anywhere, but causes me to exert a lot of energy, Satan's accusations and mockery spin around and around in our heads. They go nowhere, but they cause us to expend a lot of useless energy. We start believing the lies and then dwell on those thoughts. They feed on themselves. The energy and speed increase until we feel aggravated, and we don't know why.

If you'll pardon my pun, we need to break the cycle. Boy, would I love to break that cycle---my faux friend!

Get off the bike. Stop believing the accusations, stop listening to the mockery. 

Look at that stupid bike and say, "Shut up!"

Turn our eyes upon Jesus. (if video does not display, click here)

I have called you friends, for everything I have learned, I have made known to you (John 15:15).

Everything I have learned I have made known to you. Isn't that delightful?

Ask, and it will be given to you (Matthew 7:7).

Ask Jesus to reveal to you what the Father wants to teach you, to tell you. He will make it known to you. That is a promise.

Every good and perfect gift comes from above, from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows (James 1:17).

God does not change, like a faux friend. He is the Real Deal.

What a friend we have in Jesus! (Alan Jackson)
Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go break my cycle...and you can take that any way you'd like...

Blessings Along the Path,
Mary

sharing this post with Deb at Blessing Counters, Barbie at The Weekend Brew, Janis at Sunday Stillness, Beth at Wedded Wednesday, Laura with Faith Filled Friday, Naomi at Monday Musings, Joan at Sharing His Beauty, Laura with Playdates With God, Terri from Good Morning Monday

10 comments:

  1. Love this! My faux friend is a treadmill. :-) Great application Mary, and you made me laugh too! Thanks so much for linking up at CMB. Enjoy a blessing-filled Christmas celebration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I could make you chuckle, Deb. I love to make people laugh, and don't mind do so at my own expense either. Actually, it's really all true. I do hate exercise equipment. You enjoy your Christmas as well. I can't believe that it's less that a week away!

      Delete
  2. I love the title! So many different applications for it, but you chose the most important one to understand. He's a liar and has been from the beginning and yet, like Eve, we often stop and listen, and sometimes believe him when he says, "You will not surely die ... you will be like God" or as you pointed out, when he falsely accuses us or worse. Thanks for the humorous, yet insightful post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donna. And thank you for stopping by for a visit. Blessings to you and your family for Christmas.

      Delete
  3. Had a treadmill once, definitely a faux friend! Thanks for the post, great truth in a light hearted way! Visiting you from The Weekend Brew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I have to choose a good faux friend, it would be a treadmill, but that's not what lives in my house. Bike takes up less room, but they're both monstrosities that do not belong inside.

      Delete
  4. My faux friend is hanging out in the backyard by itself. Thank you for reminding me that Satan puts lies in my head about myself and that I must choose to shut him up. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my pleasure, Barbie! I'm curious as to what your faux friend is doing in the backyard, and what it is...haha

      Delete
  5. Excellent, thanks for sharing at Good morning Mondays. My faux friend is the exercise bike in our bedroom. If I hang clothes off it I can't hear it as much :-) Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terri, I read that line and literally laughed out loud. I thought that was so funny that I read it to the Hubster. He laughed too. It's so funny because we've all done it!

    ReplyDelete