Wednesday, December 3, 2014

How I Know Amy Poehler

I know Amy Poehler. Okay, well, not directly. It's that six degrees of separation thing, but more like four, so I sort of know her.

See, I know Katie Meyler, who knows the President of Liberia. I just discovered that Retta (Donna, from Parks and Recreation)...and yes, apparently her name is just Retta, like Cher or Sting..anyway, her aunt is the president of Liberia. And obviously, Retta knows Amy, so in a way, I do too! See how that works?


Yes, of course this picture is
Photoshopped...or PicMonkeyed
...or whatever...she's my 2nd BFF!
photo credit
Okay, so I don't know her and never will. I'm okay with that. She's really not my favorite actress anyway. Sorry, Amy. Oh, that's right, I don't know her, so she's probably not reading my blog.

I also know John 3:16: 

For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Everybody knows that scripture. We see it on signs that show up on the JumboTron at ball games all the time. Okay, in all fairness, some people might be a few degrees away from knowing it. They may not necessarily know what the scripture actually says, but they know the gist of it. And their best friend's mom is a bible thumper and she's quoted that passage every time they go to their friend's house. Therefore they know all about that bible stuff. They know all about Jesus.

Yeah.

Kind of like how I know Amy Poehler. A few degrees off.

But before we condemn the heathens who think they know John 3:16, let's look inside our own hearts, shall we?

I'll go first. Since I'm writing this blog and you're reading it, that's how it's done.

Okay, I'll admit, even confess that I haven't opened my bible in awhile. Oh, I've opened it to get verses. I've opened it out of obligation. I've also opened Gatewaybible.com, which brings me directly to scriptures that I'm looking for.

I played hooky from church two weeks in a row. Just because. 

I've wandered. As one of my favorite songs from Fiddler on the Roof goes, far from the home I love. A few degrees off.

And when that happens, I notice that I start thinking of me more and you less. I start compromising, my emotions are more fragile and my attitude starts to smell. I start to care less...about everything.

I can say that I know this scripture or that scripture, that I have a Christian blog, that I am writing a Christian book, that I pray to and follow Jesus, and that I live my life according to biblical standards, but if I'm not living it, if I'm not actively doing it, I may as well announce on my blog that I know Amy Poehler. Yeah, right. Not so much. 

It's the beginning of Advent. Everyone is posting beautiful Advent poems, thoughts, prayers, readings, scriptures and pictures. Suggestions on how to get closer to Jesus. Suggestions on how to get out of yourself and focus on others. 

They're all great.

But while we're doing that, or maybe even before we do that, let's look inside and see if there is some yuck in there. Some, "I know Amy Poehler" stuff...you know, the stuff that's a few degrees off. Might I suggest reading and praying Psalm 51?

Search me, God and know my heart. Test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting 
(Psalm 139: 23-24)

Have mercy on me O God, according to your unfailing love...wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin 
(Psalm 51:1-2)

I'd love to stay and chat, but I need to go scrape the scum off my soul. And actually read and meditate on Psalm 51, like I suggested you do.  

Oh, and by the way, does anyone know anyone who knows Tina Fey? Oh..wait, I do! Amy Poehler!

Blessings Along the Path,









sharing this post on Testimony Tuesday, Coffee For Your Heart, Word Filled Wednesday, Wholehearted Wednesday, Winsome Wednesday, A Little R& R, Wedded Wednesday, Thought Provoking Thursday, Thriving Thursdays,

14 comments:

  1. Thank you for your transparency! Stopping by from Coffee For Your Heart. As we scrape the scum His grace shows up and loves us right there in the mess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Katie. Yes, it's good that he helps us scrape it off! Thank you for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can so relate to this right now! I was working on some writing similar. I have several Bibles but how often do I actually open them? SUPER RARELY. It bummed me out so I'm working on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christie, what I have found is that the more I get down on myself for not "doing what I'm supposed to do" the further away from the Lord I actually get. Because I'm "doing it" for all the wrong reasons. God knows our hearts and doesn't want our obligatory worship; He wants our heartfelt worship. Be good to yourself. Don't beat yourself up. Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know Laurie Metcalf the same way! A gal that goes to our church was married to Laurie's brother, so she is Laurie's ex-sister-in-law! Yep! I think that means I know Laurie Metcalf! ha! I love your creativity and humor, Mary! You always keep us captured and remembering your thoughts long after we've left your place. I'm so glad that you're getting "back in the saddle" with your quiet times too (why do I always think of the movie, "Sleepless in Seattle" when I think of that song?) Kinda like your "Fiddler on the Roof" reference, I suppose! We are so alike, Mary! Who knew?! Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. See, Beth, you know exactly what I'm talking about! Haha. I love making new friends here in Blogland. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just laughed and thought hard at the same time. My favorite kind of post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Two of my favorite verses! Thanks for this today. Jesus is scraping scrum off my soul too. Blessings, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too! I seem to weave them in a lot of posts. Thanks for stopping in, Julie.

      Delete
  9. Loving those verses and the way you delivered this message. Don't we all have some scraping to do?! One day we will all be made clean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim. The phrase just sort of rolled off my fingers and then I said, "Hmmm, that's good. I ought to actually go do that!" (Well, not literally...that might be a bit tricky!) Hallelujah, I can't wait for that day! Until then, scrape, scrape.

      Delete
  10. Hi Mary! I think Advent is all about waiting and preparing. So that includes doing some interior housework. "Scraping" is how you put it, and I think about 'making room'.
    Do I really know my Scripture and the Lord? Only in a very small way, but thanks be to him who knows that I am so small! I love your insight about becoming more me-centered when I don't concentrate on God. That is the truth!
    May God bless you as you walk this Advent day,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ceil, I think you're right. I think that I was comparing myself too much, thinking, "Gee, all these people are in that preparing your heart mode and I'm nowhere close." But I guess in my own quirky way, I'm doing the same. Thanks for pointing that out.

    ReplyDelete