Friday, December 5, 2014

Teach Me Wisdom in That Secret Place

photo credit
Psalm 51 is where I go when I feel like I've strayed, sinned or become otherwise spiritually snarky. It's my "Come Clean" Psalm. 

I mentioned in my last post that I was going to meditate on that Psalm. And I did. 

While I was doing that, I came across a verse that I found so interesting, and I believe that the Holy Spirit gave me some enlightenment on.


You taught me wisdom in that secret place.
(Psalm 51:7)

On its own, it sounds like a wonderful place to be, and who wouldn't want to be taught wisdom? 

But if you look at the context of that verse, the verses before it suggest that this was done in utero. Whaaat?


Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me. Yet you desired faithfulness even in the womb; you taught me wisdom in that secret place. 
(Psalm 51:5-7)

When I got to that verse, I stopped and pondered that thought.

To be honest, it baffled me. 

How does God teach wisdom to a baby not yet born? 

A baby in utero has no concept of language. This comes later. It is taught by the baby's parents. So when God teaches this baby wisdom in the womb, is it infused as the baby grows? Is it through osmosis?

Now, I'm no biologist, so this is not a scientific theory...I don't understand the process of osmosis on a scientific level..but here's my regular woman theory...

Osmosis is the process which allows a liquid (usually water) to pass freely through the wall of a living cell. It is also a process which allows a person to gradually understand something without much effort.

I think it's something that cannot be defined, kind of like God. Makes sense...in a way that can't be explained...

It's something we cannot grasp because it has no explanation. Just like how we are cleansed and forgiven when we come to the Father. 

Cleanse me with hyssop and I will be clean; wash me and I will be whiter than snow....blot out my iniquity...create in my a pure heart...restore to me the joy of my salvation...grant me a willing spirit to sustain me 
(Psalm 51: various)
How do you explain that?

How do you explain how God can take a filthy soul, a sinful life, a spiritually diseased heart and wipe it all clean?

You can't. 

In the same way, we are taught wisdom...before birth...in That Secret Place.

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb...my frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. 
(Psalm 139:13,15)

It is only when we return to That Secret Place...that place where we meet with Jesus... that we are restored. We are taught wisdom once again, in the way that we were taught as a not yet fully formed baby. Through osmosis.

While we were being formed, God taught us in a language not like the one we would come to know...in a language of Love.

It is only understood by becoming His once again...by letting go of all we know, all of our language, our thinking, our reasoning, our emotions...and emptying ourselves of ourselves as we know ourselves, and allowing God to re-form us. 

All of our knowledge and all of our feelings of stupidity.
The pride and the condemnation.
The guilt and the shame.
The sin.
Our understanding of who God is and how He works.

All of that means nothing in That Secret Place.

We are to leave it at the foot of the cross before we enter That Secret Place.

When we do this, we allow our Lord to infuse His wisdom by osmosis, the same way He did when we were still His and only His. In a language that we cannot understand. In a way that we cannot explain. 

We only know that this is good. This is very good.

Our life has been made clean (Ps 51:7)
The bones that have been crushed now rejoice (v8)
Our sins have been forgiven (v9)
Our heart has been made pure (v10)
Our spirit has been renewed (v10)
We are once again walking with God (v11)
Our joy has been restored (v12)

We have come clean.

Blessings Along the Path,
Mary


Sharing today with Deb from Blessing Counters, Laura at Faith Filled Fridays, Barbie at The Weekend Brew, Janis from Sunday Stillness, Holley at Coffee For Your Heart

3 comments:

  1. This is excellent Mary. His words beyond our understanding yet embraced in faith. I love the blessing of His Word!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Deb. And thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary! I was amazed like you at the 'secret place' being the womb. How can I understand how wonderful that is? And how God works in our hearts whether we accept his presence or not...It reminds me of the Psalm that David wrote that says it's so silly to stay up all night, while God pours out his blessings as we sleep!

    But you're right, the secret place is also prayer. I hope that I will always be willing to meet him there.
    Blessings,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete