Friday, January 9, 2015

One Word Impact-Acceptions

Anyone who knows me knows that I am a self-professed grammar and spelling snob. Okay, I get that not everyone understands the proper usage of their, there and they're (though for the life of me, I don't really get it...) and lay and lie (which I myself still get tripped up over). I will even forgive the occasional misspelling on a blog (including my own-yes, I must forgive myself every now and then).

It's an entirely other thing when I see spelling/grammar mistakes on a menu, or a sign...something public. Shouldn't a proofreader catch those errors? 

Someone sent me something the other day (which is a little dicey for this holy blog, but still very funny). This was an actual Twitter post. It said this:

When he left this morning, I could still smell his colon on my sheets.

Ew.

Well...at least she remembered the coma...I mean comma.

Accept

Am I telling you that I need to just accept that not everyone understands or even cares about spelling and grammar the same way I do?

No (But yes). Actually, the two have nothing to do with each other, accept as a prelude to my "double-meaning of one word" trend that I'm on. And yes, I did use the wrong word (accept). It should have been except. 

Accept and except are what we older folks used to call homonymns (now called homophones. Spell check doesn't like homonymns). A homonym/phone is a word that sounds like, and may even be spelled like another word, but has a different meaning. Other examples are main and mane, rose (the flower) and rose (out of bed) And this cute little meme I came up with all on my own, using carat and carrot.



To accept is to receive, approve, take hold of, endure, to regard as proper or normal, or to recognize as true.

Basically, when we accept something, we are giving up our right and desire to disagree, argue, debate, or otherwise deem as incorrect, unwelcome or unpleasant.

Except for...(fill in the blank)

Don't we always have exceptions to our acceptions (I know...that's not a word, but it sounded so cute!)?

You know...those things that we will accept with the exception of _______________.  Like the Meat Loaf song back in the 70s that said, I would do anything for love...but I won't do that!

We all have them.

I have been thinking about mine: my exceptions to what I will accept.




Years ago, I was told that if I wanted my children to learn to make their beds, I had to let them make the bed. Period. No going in afterwards and smoothing out the covers. It may look better to me, but they'll get the message that what they did wasn't good enough. Leave it alone. 

Accept it.

That came to my mind recently when I tried to do the same thing with my husband! I didn't like the haphazard way he threw the spread over the covers. There were bumps all over!

I could leave it...except...it didn't look good. It didn't meet my standards. It wasn't perfect.

Men typically don't get the whole making the bed thing. Why bother if you're just going to get back into it? But rather than hear us complain, some (not all) will begrudgingly do it. 

Hey, at least he did it.

I chose to accept it.

He's a good husband. He does a lot and puts up with a lot. He "complies" with a lot of my seemingly pointless housekeeping requests and occasional nonsensical whims. He is always willing to lend a hand and help me. He is always there. And he thinks I'm cute at times when I think I've done something stupid and embarrassing. He loves me very much and tells me all the time.


He accepts me.

If he has exceptions to that love, I haven't heard them.

I could learn a lot from him. And I have.

Humans have exceptions...conditions. 
God accepts...unconditionally.

We are to be always striving to be more like Jesus, who learned unconditional love from His...and our Father. He accepted everyone the way they were. We ought to do the same. 

So what if we differ in opinion? An opinion is not fact, so if we disagree, that's okay!

So what if someone is a bit quirkier than I am (and I'm pretty quirky!)? Just because someone is quirky doesn't give me the right to call them weird. Weird is a relative term based on my opinion...oh, there it is again.

If you have difficulty accepting others, it may be because you don't accept some aspect of yourself.  

Accepting yourself the way you are is vital to having a healthy relationship with others. 

Jesus said that the second greatest commandment is to love your neighbor as yourself (Mark 12:31). 

He didn't tell us to love our neighbor more than ourselves. He commanded us to love ourselves. Accept yourself. 

But guess what the greatest commandment is?

You must love the Lord, your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind and all your strength (Mark 12:30).

Well, that about covers everything! You must love and accept God.

Unless you accept that God loves you just the way you are, you may never be able to accept that yourself. If God loves and accepts you without exception, and He is the one who created you, it's a bit insulting not to do the same. 

Deeming yourself "unacceptable" in any way is to put yourself above God, and to call the Creator of the Universe a bad artist! 

Love God. Love yourself. Love your neighbor. 

Accept God. Accept yourself. Accept your neighbor.

No exceptions.


Blessings Along the Path,
Mary

Sharing this post with  Thought Provoking Thursday, Faith Filled Friday,
Faith and Fellowship,  Blessing Counters, The Weekend Brew, Still SaturdaySunday Stillness

8 comments:

  1. Loved this!! Thanks so much for linking up at CMB. Oh, how I wish I didn't have so many exceptions... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you Deb. I had an opportunity to put this post into practice this evening at church when we sang a song in worship that we sing a lot. I thought, "Oh, not this song again. I can't even sing along, I'm so sick of it." And I heard the Holy Spirit say to me, "So, you like all the songs...except this one." Ouch! I am thankful that we are a work in progress!

      Delete
  2. Praise God for His unconditional love! I agree with you though -- spelling & grammar can be really, really important! A comma can make the difference between "Let's eat, Grandma!" and "Let's eat Grandma!"
    Thanks so much for visiting & commenting on Saved by Grace! Your blog is a blessing and I'm now following it, and I hope you'll consider following Saved by Grace also!
    God bless,
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie, thanks for stopping by and for following!

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed your post about exceptions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! The use of grammar was the perfect way to illustrate your point. Have a blessed day and thank you for linking up with The Weekend Brew.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Mary...and thank you for all the work you're doing for Barbie at the Weekend Brew! I miss her, but love your posts just as much!

    ReplyDelete