Monday, January 19, 2015

Results Vary Based on Effort

I recently came across an advertisement for a seminar coming to the area. Than Merrill, the star of A & E's "Flip This House" is apparently looking for people who are interesting in learning "how to get started flipping houses."

I am not interested. However, this disclaimer did interest me:

Results Vary Based on Effort.

Well, naturally. The more you put into something, the more you get out of it. Like any business. Or relationship.

If you want to succeed at anything, flipping houses or otherwise, you have to put a lot of time and effort into it. Someone can teach you all they know, but until and unless you apply it and really work at it, you will not see results.At least not the results you're hoping for.

Isn't our walk with God the same way?

Yes, maintaining and growing my Christian life requires effort. And to be quite honest, I'm not always up to putting forth the effort. I'd like it to just be infused. And that is simply due to sheer laziness. And if I'm really honest (which I actually am), sometimes I'm just not interested.


Good old Google provided me with this definition of effort:

a vigorous or determined attempt

Whether we want to succeed at flipping houses or flipping our lives around, it will require determination and vigor. Simply wishing for it won't do anything. 

So, I need to ask myself (and maybe you do too) when I awaken in the morning:


How much do I want this relationship with God?
How close do I want to be to God?
How determined am I to have it?
How vigorous is my effort?
What am I willing to do to get it?
What am I willing to give up or lose in the process?

Now that I've read that disclaimer, it makes complete sense to me why my results vary from day to day. It's based on how much effort I put into my relationship with God. It's nothing that He does. It's all dependent on my determined effort.

Little effort, little change. 
Much effort, much growth.

It's quite simple, really. No need to complicate it. 

What about you? How much effort have you been putting into your relationship with the Lord? Are you ready to "flip that house?"

It all depends on how much you put into it. 

No coercion. No high-pressure sales tactics. No gimmicks. I'm not into all that. And neither is God.

It's all up to you.

Blessings Along the Path,

Mary

In case you're actually interested in flipping houses, I suppose you could check out Than Merrill's website.

Sharing this post with Terri at Good Morning Monday, Naomi at Monday Musings Joan with Sharing His Beauty, Laura from Playdates With God, Holly from Testimony Tuesday, Kelly with #RaRa Cheerleading

12 comments:

  1. I so agree. If you exert little effort, don't expect great results. It's the law of the harvest, right? You reap what you sow.

    Lovely insight, Mary. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I guess I was thinking in secular/business terms and hadn't even gotten into the biblical...but it all comes back to that doesn't it? Thanks for THAT insight!

      Delete
  2. yep, hearing you on this. I struggle with self motivation many times. I need accountability. Our church is doing a 40 day reading plan and we are helping each other by sharing what we're learning and encouraging each other to stick with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melody, I miss that. I am not in a bible study or anything. We have a "home group" but it's not quite the same. And wintertime makes me feel like a sloth! Thanks for stopping by

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary I had to chuckle as I read this. We don't have cable but while visiting my MIL this weekend we got hooked on the show Flip or Flop and now have a dream to flip houses!! It's so true ~ with everything in life, including flipping houses, our results are based on our effort. I want to be as close to the Lord as possible so it is hardly surprising when I feel distance creep in on those days that I had a rushed morning and my quiet time suffered the consequences.
    Thank you for the #RaRaLinkUp encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so funny, Sarah! Who knows, maybe my post was confirmation? Thanks for strolling over.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes... sometimes I just want it all infused, as well! Sheer laziness... and then just letting my calendar and To-Do lists boss me around and crowd Him out. I love the truth you share here... it encourages and inspires us to put forth the effort, for we know that the result is more of Him -and that is always worth it! Visiting from Holly's but I see we are both gathered over at Kelly's today too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, Karrilee! To-do lists can be very bossy. I try not to make them anymore. Problem is, I forget what I have to do without them. Necessary evil. I love seeing friends gathered in the same place. I just discovered Kelly's party recently.

      Delete
  7. Hi Mary! It is so true that we don't get far spiritually unless we try. God does want me to be beside him, but he's not going to wrestle me to the mat to do it. Like you said, it's not his style. How he wants us to love and listen to him! He has the way that's the best. But I do have to choose it.

    Like a little loving care to an old house, our spirits will be revived and nurtured with each prayer, each sigh, each quiet moment spent.
    Happy Tuesday!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ceil, I love your house analogy. So many of you all came up some great additions! Honestly, I didn't put a lot of effort into this post...at least not the effort I usually put forth. It was Sunday and I was feeling slothful! Thanks for seeing what I missed!

      Delete
  8. Yes! We think we can glide by with God, but God wants us to glide high with him. Thank you for this Gayl. You are full of wisdom. I am blessed for it! #RA #RA!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for linking this great post at Good Morning Mondays. Blessings

    ReplyDelete