Wednesday, January 21, 2015

The House at Pooh Corner

Because I was feeling nostalgic the other day, I decided to listen to the Best of Loggins and Messina, one of my favorite groups from the 70s. I might add that I listened to it in the womb...yeah, right. 

Anyway, I was listening to The House at Pooh Corner and wondering why on earth a strange song like that became so popular. And not just for the time either... people still listen to it and even re-record it today. Watch this video and see for yourself, how much people love this song! Why? It's about Winnie the Pooh for heaven's sake! (click here to open video if it does not display). 



Here's what I think:

Because it makes us feel like we're innocent and carefree again. Like children. And deep down, we all miss that.

Look at these words:

Christopher Robin and I walked along under branches lit up by the moon
Posing our questions to Owl and Eeyore as the days disappeared far too soon.

Now I've wandered much further today than I should,
And I can't seem to find my way back to the wood.

So help me if you can. 
I've got to get back to the House at Pooh Corner by one
You'd be surprised there's so much to be done!
Count all the bees in the hive!
Chase all the clouds from the sky!
Back to the days of Christopher Robin and Pooh.

Winnie the Pooh doesn't know what to do; got a honey jar stuck on his nose!
He came to me asking help and advice, and from here, no one knows where to go.
So I sent him to ask of the Owl, if he's there, how to loosen a jar from the nose of a bear.

Don't you sort of long for the days when you could step into a wonderland, a fantasy world, a world where there were no grown-ups (read: authority), no rules, no restrictions of time?

A time where you walked along in the woods with your storybook friend, talking of important questions like, 'Why does it get dark?' and 'Where did Tigger get his stripes?'



A time when the most important thing to do, the thing that excited you most was doing nothing? Counting bees in a hive, chasing clouds from the sky, wondering how to get a honey jar off the nose of a pudgy bear who loves honey just a tad too much. A time of innocence. A time of wonder. A time of awed joy. A time of learning and taking it all in. 

A time when we didn't think we knew it all. When we didn't wish we knew it all. When we didn't feel the need to know it all. A time before the complexities of life stole our innocence, and the demands of responsibility took priority over experiencing joy for the sake of joy.

I remember lying on my bed as a kid and just thinking. Rolling around because I was bored. Lying in the "way back" of the station wagon looking at the stars at night, and trying to figure out where we were by the turns of the car. Walking with Christopher Robin. 

You know what line I like the most in that song?


Now I've wandered much further today than I should 
and I can't seem to find my way back to the wood.

I wonder if that means that the writer wandered too far in "Pooh" land, or in the demands and responsibilities of real life. 



Because I'm a word geek, I feel the need to dissect the words further/farther. Farther is used when speaking of physical distance; further implies figurative distance. So maybe the author didn't mean that he actually wandered physically far away.

There are days that I feel I've wandered so far away from what I love, that I can't find my way back to my imagination. To the simplicity and childlike faith of just being. Just walking in the garden with my best friend, Jesus.

He is always there. Waiting to walk and talk with me under branches lit up by the moon and in the light of day as well. I can just picture myself strolling, not briskly walking, but strolling, pondering. Sometimes I ask questions. Sometimes we are silent. We have no need to ask Owl or Eeyore; Jesus has all the answers. And He knows how to get the honey jar off Pooh's nose too! I can see Him laughing at the silliness of Pooh. Not the stupidity, but the silliness, because He loves Pooh and Pooh loves Him. And He understands what it means to love something to excess...in a good way.



  • Do you ever find that you've wandered much further than you wish you had in the demands of life?
  • How hard is it for you to find your way back to the wood?
  • Do you know that when you get there, your Friend, Jesus will be waiting for you?
  • Do you know that He is such a good friend that He will never make you feel that you've neglected Him? He will never impose guilt, shame or blame on you. He'll just be there waiting to walk and laugh and talk and ponder and lie in the way back of the station wagon with you.

How about the lyrics to another song? (click here to view video if it does not display--trivia: I think the background singer is Naomi Judd!?)



I come to the Garden alone, while the dew is still on the roses
And the voice I hear falling on my ear, the Son of God discloses

And He walks with me and He talks with me 
And He tells me I am His own
And the joy we share as we tarry there none other has ever known 
(Charles A. Miles, In the Garden)

Blessings Along the Path,
Mary

PS: Read more about having childlike faith in a grownup world: Playdates With God by Laura Boggess. I'll be sharing more from the book soon! In the meantime, check out Laura's blog, Playdates With God: Chasing the Blue Flower

Sharing this post with Laura at Playdates With God, Holly at Testimony Tuesday, Kelly with #RaRaCheerleading, Beth with Messy Marriage, Holley with Coffee For Your Heart, Rosilind with A Little R&R, Shari with Word Filled Wednesdays, Judith with Wholehearted Wednesdays, Lyli with Thought Provoking Thursdays, Crystal with Thriving Thursdays, Laura with Faith Filled Fridays, Deb with Blessing Counters, Barbie with The Weekend Brew and Janis with Sunday Stillness, Terri with Good Morning Monday

8 comments:

  1. I've always loved this song. I think busyness and cynicism have us wandering too far from the wood. Wonderful to know we have One who continues to woo us back to simplicity and child-like faith. Thanks Mary. This is really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb! And thanks for taking the time to stop by.

      Delete
  2. I think we say we want to go back to carefree time without grownups but what we really miss, is the carefreeness that having the safe authorities around us gave. The childhood is built on love, rules and trust.
    Love that we recieve from an authority, rules that are given by them and trust that we give to them. That they will make life good for us, that they know the best thing.
    And I think most of the people have wandered too far to remember that. Or to trust anymore, or to obey the rules and believe in them. And so they have lost the love too. And it's a terribly sad thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting points. I got to your Google+page, but I don't see a website. Do you blog? Are you an Ecuadorian or a missionary living in Ecuador? I'd love to know more about you! If you have a blog/website, please let me know. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. Awwww Mary . . . love this. Like a healing balm this evening using some favorite buzz words and I LOVE these lyrics!!!!! Thanks for tagging me and bringing it to my attention. Just a note: The image just before the Alan Jackson video comes out blank. Not sure if it's something with my computer or your upload. Might want to check that. Joy to you!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not heard that songs in years! That was a nice little departure from my daily chores :) BTW, I am your neighbor at Messy Marriage linkup.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this song and I was not in the womb when I listened to it! :) Your analogy was spot on-we do love carefree days imagining a simpler life. God is always there throughout our days to lead us to this place of contentment if we just say "yes". Great post and thank you for linking up to The Weekend Brew.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just great, thanks for sharing at Good Morning Mondays. Blessings

    ReplyDelete