Monday, January 12, 2015

The Words of My Heart

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer (Psalm 19:14).

For out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks (Matthew 12:34).

But the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart...(Matthew 15:18)


Well, to be perfectly honest, I didn't expect to be writing on the things of the heart today. My intention, when I first sat down with my white space, was to talk about the power of the words we use with our mouths

But as usual, God had other plans.

He wanted to show me something important:

It's not so much the power of the words that we use; rather, it's the power of the thoughts that come from our hearts. For it is in the heart that the words take shape.

It is those thoughts---the ones we think with our hearts---that make it to our mouths. And if you're anything like I am, all I have to do is open my mouth and the words come tumbling out. Sometimes spewing out, like a geyser or a fire hydrant that has been left open. 


"Shut it off! Shut it off!" (Read: "shut up! shut up!")

There are times when I feel like I "just have to say something."  It's those times when the words don't so much feel like they need to be released from my mouth, but the emotional torment must be released from my heart. When I feel strongly about something, I don't feel that in my mouth. I feel it in my heart. It is that feeling that bubbles up and overflows from my heart into my mouth, and the words just tumble out.

You see, it's not my mouth that gets me in trouble. It's my heart.



That's why so many people are walking around wounded. It's why there's road rage and office rage and home rage, and whatever else kind of rage you can think of. The rage comes from the heart, from a place in the heart that has been wounded and wants to retaliate. From a place in the heart that wants retribution, righteousness, and revenge.

When that happens, when I feel my heart rate quicken and my heart thump in my chest, it is because the words are taking shape. It is then that I must pray that I always be reminded that my desire is to please God with my thoughts, my words and my actions. First from my heart. Quell my heart, Lord.

We may not always realize it, but our heart has meditated on those words before they enter into our heads. May I always be aware of the mediation of my heart and the words that form in my mind, so that I may speak words of healing, love, edification and value; only that which is helpful for building up, not tearing down.

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen (Eph 4:29)

Father God, may this be our prayer today:

If it edifies and encourages, bring it on! Quicken my heart, Lord!
If it tears down and breaks the spirit, I don't want it. Quell my heart, Lord!

Blessings Along the Path,
Mary

Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing. (Prov 12:18)

sharing this post with Joan at Sharing His Beauty, Laura at Playdates With God, Terri at Good Morning Monday, Donna with Mondays @ Soul Survivor, Holly with Testimony Tuesday, Kelly at the Cheerleading Linkup, Beth with Messy Marriage, Barbie at The Weekend Brew, Janis at Sunday Stillness




16 comments:

  1. I LOVE this thought for us, Mary. It's easy to disconnect the words that come out of our mouths from our hearts, but they are so interconnected. I am working on forgiving certain people in my life that are repeated boundary busters. I pray a specific prayer related to how I feel they've hurt me each day. I'm noticing it softening my heart whenever I'm around them now. But then I'll still let my mouth say something critical about them to my spouse, which feeds resentment back into my heart--hardening it all over again! Thanks to you I'm sure I'll be thinking about this cyclical connection throughout the day! Inspiring post, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Beth. I'm sure I'll have an opportunity to put it to use soon. God always allows me to experience my posts, whether it's before or after. This one seems to be ongoing (sigh)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen Mary! I spent time with those verses this weekend too. If we allow the Lord to change our hearts our words will change naturally. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it is our hearts that lead us astray. Eph 4:29 has long been a verse to always have posted on mirrors and the refrigerator and all over at my house!
    "The rage comes from the heart, from a place in the heart that has been wounded and wants to retaliate."
    If we can only bring our wounded heart to Him and receive healing, then out of that we can speak words of life! Thanks you for sharing.
    Donna
    visiting from Playdates With God link up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your kind words, Donna. We're all a work in progress. Isn't it wonderful that God loves us in spite of what's in our hearts?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary, this post is spot on! I love the way God works, turning your blog post into what He needed it to be. Psalm 19:14 is one of our family's memory verses. Thanks for this reminder. Take care and nice to meet you.
    -Stacie http://no-idle-bread.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, yes, the well of the heart. Jesus, help me keep the water flowing and clean....
    Great words here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary, this is wonderful! When I'm having a moment and let angry words slip my husband (sweet, darling, husband) often replies with that very verse, "out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks." I immediately deflate. It cuts right down to the issue and forces me to address it. Sometimes it's painful to see where your heart can end up!
    Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me!
    Thank you, Mary!
    -Alli

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your words! It reminds me that I bought a book called "Taming Your Tongue" that I've been meaning to read. What a neat idea you give us, that we first need to ask God to tame our heart with His grace before we can start taming that wild tongue!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I so needed this today! This is exactly what God has been quickening to my heart as well. I often SAY the right things but deep within my heart there is anger, pride and selfishness pooling up. This is a great reminder to search our hearts!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Mary! What an interesting concept that the heart has already ruminated on the hurt and formed the words that wait to erupt. I guess I never thought of it that way. I do remember a Psalm that says: Oh let the words of my mouth, and the meditations of my heart be acceptable in thy sight... So really, that makes a lot of sense. Put that gate on the doors to my voice Lord, and let me think about what I say before I say it!
    Blessings,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  12. I often spend time in these verses--some of us are just determined to learn the hard way. Thank you for your insights today.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A good word, Mary, it reminded me of how important it is to "take every thought captive" If we do that we're sure to have less "mouth-rage" don't you think? Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing this and the Eph 4 scripture really spoke to me and my own heart. Conviction is good and you have convicted me to think before I speak. Thank you for linking up with us at Good Morning Mondays and for being a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This verse has made me more mindful of my words ever since. It's true that what you fill your heart will always, always flow out of your mouth. Then you will know what kind of person you're speaking to. :)

    ReplyDelete