Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Draw Me In

Have you ever sat in the stillness, the quiet, and...

Nothing?

You sit there and sit there and sit there and wait for that special "quiet time anointing" to fall. You wait for the cacophony in your head to still so that your mind can still so that your body can still. 

Still...nothing.

You close your eyes and try to enter the presence of God, and you just can't.

Then you start to feel guilty because you really don't feel like sitting there anymore. So you get up and start doing the dishes and whatnot, asking, "Where's the presence of God? Why can't I find it?"

Or maybe that's just me.

But you see, it's not about conjuring up God's presence. We can't make it happen. We can sit and wait, and sometimes nothing happens. That doesn't mean that God's not there. He is always there.
His presence is always present.

We just don't always "feel" it.

Several years ago, I came across this scripture:

Draw near to God and He will draw near to you (James 4:8)

I'm tempted to go into the explanation and significance of the Tabernacle here: the Outer Court, the Inner Court (or Holy Place) and the Most Holy Place, the Holy of Holies. But that would take longer than I know you'd like to spend reading this blog.

Instead, I'll let you research that yourself if you're not familiar with it. There is a vast array of books and articles written on this subject, but the best way to familiarize yourself with it is to read Exodus 26; all of Exodus if you want the context.


The bottom line is this: Tabernacle means dwelling place. It was a place to "contain" God in a tangible form; a place for His glory to dwell, so that the Israelites could worship Him in the wilderness. When they drew near to Him in that Tabernacle, God drew near to them. God dwelt among them.

God dwells among us in our wilderness as well.

When we recognize and repent of our sin, we draw near to God. 
When we make the effort to sit in the stillness, the quiet space, we draw near.

But He is the One Who draws us in.

Consider this:

My soul longs, even faints for the courts of the Lord;
my heart and my flesh cry out for the living God. 
(Psalm 84:2)




As the deer pants for streams of water, 
so my soul pants for You, my God
(Psalm 42:1)


God is the one who puts that hunger for Him in us...so that everything in us cries out for Him...our soul, our heart and our flesh.

He beckons us. 

We respond.

That's what makes us go to that place of stillness, that place of quiet in the first place. 

It makes no difference if we "feel" His presence or not. What's important is that we respond to the call. 

He draws us in. 

We draw near to Him. 

He draws near to us. 

It never ends. 

Even when we give up and get up and go wash the dishes. Even when we believe we've somehow missed Him. Even when the lies fly into our heads like flaming arrows telling us that we've failed and we're a miserable excuse of a Christian. Even then. Especially then. 

He is always beckoning, always drawing us in.

After I read that scripture all those years ago, I wrote a song. I used it as my way of responding to God. It was my private song I sang in my prayer closet.

I almost didn't include it on my last album. It was too intimate. But at the last minute, I decided I needed one more song. I went into the soundbooth and just sang. I didn't think about technique or anything. I just worshiped in response to His beckoning.

Funny, when I got out of my own way, the anointing of God fell on me in that soundbooth. Please enjoy this video of my song, Draw Me In. I hope and pray that it may help usher you into the Holy of Holies.


Blessings Along the Path,

17 comments:

  1. Mary, this is such a truth filled post. Yes, whether we feel it or not, the is there. I am reminded of a book I'm currently reading, Chasing God by Angie Smith. She touches on the same subject. So often we think if we're not on a spiritual high, he isn't there, but that couldn't be further from the truth. Thank you for sharing this. -Abby (your neighbor on #CoffeeForYourHeart today)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Abby. I'll have to check that book out.

      Delete
  2. This is a great devotional. It left me feeling very prayerful. Thanks for bringing us to this place. I'm your neighbor at Messy Marriage Linkup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gina. I'm always so blessed to bless!

      Delete
  3. I love this. I can relate to it 100 percent. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you were blessed, Jenny. Thanks for taking the time to visit.

      Delete
  4. You may be the "funny bone" of the body of Christ, but you do double duty on being the lovely "voice" as well, Mary! Such a beautiful performance and meaningful words that should be the cry of our hearts for the Lord. And yes, we were/are very much on the same wavelength. I think God's been sitting between us and whispering in one of our ears and then turning and whispering in the other's ears right after! And like a beautiful choir, our blended harmonies in the same song, bring greater glory to Him. Thanks for inspiring us, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth! I love your imagery! I can just see Him whispering in our ears.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Beth! I love your imagery! I can just see Him whispering in our ears.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful post. He's always here - I just have to stop and listen. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful post, beautiful song, beautiful voice. I'm touched.

    I also left a comment on the site where I listened to your song.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a blessing to be next to you at the Unite link up. Your post and song are so encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary,
    This was such a beautiful post. Learning about meeting with Jesus in an intimate way, in the inner sanctuary of my heart, is something that is fairly new in my faith journey, but has transformed and renewed my life in an incredible way. I am sharing my story of healing from childhood abuse at incrementalhealing.wordpress.com There I have shared that it is hearing God's words of love for me that has helped me most powerfully to break free from the lies, and to find freedom. I'd love it if you'd stop by and share your thoughts.
    Blessings,
    Kamea
    (Your song is absolutely beautiful)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, even when we can't feel, he always IS. Thank you for this reminder that it is not about what we perceive because he is who he is. Thankful for your words and that you joined the #RaRalinkup. You blessed me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so thankful for a God who cares enough to always draw me in. Thank you for your vulnerability!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that it is intereating tjat when you said, "..when I got out of the way, God...."I want more of those moments where I move out of the way and He moves in.
    Blessings,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete