Thursday, February 19, 2015

How to Pack 8 Days in a Carry-On...or Not

The Hubster and I are going on vacation to Puerto Rico on Saturday. 



We'll be gone for a week, so don't wait for a post from me. You won't be getting any. In fact, as I write this, it's Sunday...almost a week before we leave, and I'm already packed and mentally checked out. This is my last post until March.


Did you know that most airlines charge for baggage now? Hubster doesn't seem to care (but he also didn't mind paying the extra $75 each way each person for extra leg room), but I refuse to pay it. So, I was determined to get everything in my carry-on: the hiking attire, 3 bathing suits, 2 cover-ups, 12 tops (too many?), 5 bottoms, 3 dresses, 1 floppy hat, toiletries, unmentionables, pajamas, reading material, purse, and an obscene amount of shoes/sandals.




And I did. Here's how I did it. First, I switched to a practical purse; a smaller one that can be worn across my shoulder and chest. Smaller wallet. Only carry what I know I'll need or use. 
The Daughter told me it was frumpy. Oh well. 



Since I am allowed one carry-on and one personal item, I got this cute backpack at Walmart and the purse will go inside the backpack. The Daughter didn't see the backpack. She probably would say that's frumpy too. Oh well. By the time you reach 54, who cares?!



And this becomes my travel attire.  The hiking shoes, since they take up the most room in a suitcase, the hiking pants, which can be unzipped at the thigh to become shorts (very handy when you get off the plane and it's 80 degrees) and my sweater...yes, a strange combination, but the more you can layer, the less clothes you have to pack. Along with a raincoat, which is not pictured (like the kid missing from the yearbook).




Next, start rolling. That's right. Instead of packing everything separately, pack in sets. These are my "pajamas (one set. I do have more)."



Place smaller item inside the middle of the larger item. Fold over and roll. 



Since the skort is bigger, that goes on the bottom, and the top, along with the "under" things, goes inside. This was hard to roll, so it was sort of folded/rolled.


Because of the wonderful world of electronics, this pile is no longer necessary. Only my tablet. And thanks to my local library, I can read free magazines through Zinio.




I started with what would go in the backpack. Since there's not a lot of danger in my luggage getting lost (because it's a carry-on), I didn't need to concern myself too much with making sure I had a change of clothes, etc, but I decided to pack those anyway in the backpack, along with my toiletries, medications, the pajamas, sandals, bathing suit, and a cover-up. 






Backpack packed! Now onto the carry-on itself.

Once I rolled up all my outfits, dresses and extra tops, here's what it looked like (notice the spray bottle? That's for getting out the wrinkles. Once you unpack and hang up the clothes, just spray some warm water on them and shake them out...gets the majority of wrinkles out. No need to fuss too much when you're on vacation!


Yes, I fit everything in. The bulk of the space was taken up by the darned shoes! I ended up putting back two pair. How many black sandals do you really need? I just need to remember my phone/tablet charger and I'm good to go!


Adios! Nos vemos en Marzo!

Bendiciones,
Maria

Oops! Hold on there, "Maria!" Did you check the dimensions of your bag to make sure it adheres to the carry-on requirements of the airlines?

Why, no, I hadn't thought of that, Self. 

Well, guess what? 

My bag was too big!!!

I tried another carry-on, and I couldn't fit everything! 

So you know what I did?

I opted to pay the fee to check my luggage. What's $25 when you're paying...er, rather, the Hubster is paying...all that money for a vacation? After all, it's vacation!

I guess I haven't made it into the Pinterest Hall of Fame. Oh well...like I said, by the time you reach 54...who cares?!

Sometimes God takes our self-righteousness and humbles us. Okay, I get it.

So, now, I can say, 
Adios!

Oh, and if you're very observant, you may have noticed the new "do." 

Bendeciones 
Blessings Along the Path,
Mare

6 comments:

  1. I was REALLY impressed.... I mean, REALLY impressed that you could do 8 days in those 2 bags...... and then I got to the end.... and laughed! So funny. I hope you have a wonderful trip!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me smile! First, at how you were able to get so much in a carry-on! Super impressed. But secondly, at how you ended up having to take luggage anyway. That is so me. :) Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teehheee, have a great time even if your packing guru-itis didn't quite work out. Details Schmeetails. Loved this new bloggy fun friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha, this reminds me of something I would do! All of it. I hope you have/had/ or are having a great time on your trip! I am so jealous :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too funny! Enjoy your trip! Thanks for linking with Grace and Truth- well see you when you get back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, nice "do".
    Summer is almost here in my side of the planet so this is very helpful. Hello summer getaways! Hello packing!

    ReplyDelete