Friday, February 6, 2015

Let It Go, Elsa! and Winner Announced

Is anyone else sick of the song, "Let it Go?"

Personally, I never liked it. (Here's the song, along with the words,in case you've been vacationing on Mars)




I finally watched the movie to see what the hype was about. Maybe if I saw it in context, I'd like it more. 

I thought the movie was cute, and yes, hearing/seeing it in context made more sense, but I still don't like the song. 

But enough already. Let it go (yes, pun very much intended)!

Oh, I just have to mention one more thing...Elsa did not invent that saying.

"Let Go and Let God" (Alcoholic Anonymous)

I don't think that's quite what Elsa was trying to convey...her song was a bit more self-centered.

Since we're on the subject of self...

I'm at a time in my life right now where I've decided to let a lot of things go; things that I care or cared about. Things that mean or meant a lot to me. Things that were once so important that I can remember striving to attain them. Let it go. 

Ministry opportunities. Trying to push open doors that God wanted to remain shut for me. That can be awkward, embarrassing and sometimes even painful from hurt that occurs while we're struggling to get through that semi-open door. Let it go. 

Acting opportunities. I love being on the stage and being part of the creative process of seeing the written word come to life. But I also know the vast chunk of time that it demands. And I'm not willing to give up my time right now for things that I know will be "chasing after the wind." Let it go. 

Time stealers. Overcommittment. Worrying that if I don't do it, someone else, someone better will take my place and they'll be loved more than I would have been. Let it go.

And these pesky things:

To be chosen. Let it go.
The need to be right. Let it go. 
Saying "yes" when I'd prefer not to. Let it go.
The desire for approval. Let it go.
The struggle for acceptance. Let it go.
The chance to belong. Let it go.
Getting in the middle of chaos that doesn't belong to me. Let it go.

It is very freeing to decide to let it go. But not without letting God.

I am now on the other side of 50. I've decided that it's time to step down from certain things and make room for the younger generation to use their gifts and talents. I'm not being forced. But I remember being that younger generation, and the frustration I felt when older people insisted on holding on to their traditions and ways. And how I wanted to force them out so that I could have my place in the spotlight. What did they know? I didn't think of the time that would come when I'd be that older generation. I didn't realize that they knew a lot more than I gave them credit for. I didn't know that they could teach me a lot about what I thought I already knew.

My time of striving is over. My time in the spotlight may be over (at least for now), but my time of ministry is far from over. In fact, I feel as if it is just beginning. Because I let it go. And I looked to God. I know that He has a plan and I'm in it. He knows what's best for me. And because I've let it go and given it all to God, who knows...He may just decide to put me back in that spotlight. Or not.

He has given me the gift to write, but I am allowing Him to write new chapters in the book called my life. And that is so exciting!

I no longer feel the need to be known. I am known by God.

Sorry, Elsa, you've got it all wrong. It's not about letting it go and living a life of isolation with no right, no wrong and no rules. Because here's the thing:

If we simply let go, what do we have to cling to? But if we let go and cling to God, we can trust that He knows what's best for us.

My acting, my singing, my speaking...basically, my time on the stage and platform are not over. But my days of performance are. Being on the other side of 50 does that to you. It changes your perspective; it gives you hindsight. 

I don't know what God's got in store for me. But I'm excited to wait. To observe. To watch a younger generation rise up. To teach them what I know. To learn from them. To once again breathe instead of gasping for air while I grasp at life. To be still instead of striving. To be calm instead of frantic. To decide what is best for me instead of letting others decide. 

To let it go.

Because I am known by God. 


What about you? 
  • What is it that you're holding onto that God wants you to let go? 
  • Why have you been holding on to it? What are you afraid you'll lose if you let it go?
  • What would happen if you let it go, knowing that you are known by God?
  • Don't just let it go. Let it go and let God decide, show you, instill creativity in you, write the new chapter in your life. 

**Deborah Piccurelli and I would like to thank each one of you who took the time to read the interview and review of Deb's book, Hush Little Baby. Extra thanks to all who commented, in hopes to win a free copy. Congratulations to Abby MacDonald, whose comment was randomly selected to win! If you didn't win, you can still purchase Deb's book on amazon.com.

Listen  to these words from Audrey Assad (Known) instead of Elsa's:



Blessings Along the Path,
Mare


sharing this post with Faith Filled Friday, Blessing Counters, The Weekend Brew, Still Saturday, Sunday Stillness, Faith 'N Friends, Grace-Truth, Unite

4 comments:

  1. I am also on the other side of 50 and looking forward to what I am calling my sequel. I am retiring from teaching in June and know that what God has planned will be amazing. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good word, Mare! The key to letting go, is the 2nd part: Let God. Sounds like you're well on your way to the peace that passes all understanding. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was great. You can't let it go without letting God. I just love this and shared. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the direction you took with this post. For a minute I wasn't sure where you were going to go with the Let it Go start, but wow, what a good word. I am known. That is truly what my heart needed to hear tonight. Thank you for sharing and for linking up at Grace and Truth. :)

    ReplyDelete