Monday, March 23, 2015

Bad Hair Days

I wonder if Jesus ever had a bad hair day.

I wonder this because I've been having a lot of them lately...not a bad day per se, but an actual bad hair day. I can't seem to get my hair to do what I want it to do. 


One morning I actually threw the hairbrush and broke it, so now I have no round brush to style my hair with. And I keep forgetting to buy a new one. Perhaps it is a subliminal punishment for my five two-year old behavior.

From all of His pictures, it always seemed like Jesus had a stylist who coiffed His hair before the picture was taken. His light brown, shoulder-length hair sported waves in the perfect places, not right above his ear so that it stuck out like a kid with bed-head, and a flipped curl at the ends. It was always evenly cut, just above his shoulder, as if he had a standing six-week appointment with his stylist. Anything longer would have been too hippie-like, I suppose, and we wouldn't want to identify with him as our potential Savior.

Really...I doubt his hair was always the same length...a non-offensive shoulder length; it was probably much longer, and unruly. And it probably wasn't light brown any more than his eyes were blue and his skin was light.

Forgive me for delving too much into this hair thing, but wasn't Jesus an itinerant preacher? Wouldn't that mean that he had a lot of bad hair days? Where did he bathe? Did he carry a comb or a brush? Beard scissors? (Let's not talk about menopausal beards, shall we?) Did he carry a satchel, a backpack or even a  "murse" (a man purse)?

You know what?

I don't think he had bad hair days at all, because that wasn't his focus. 

His focus was on others. Not on Himself. Not on His hair, beard or clothes. 

The pictures make him look the way he does for our sake, so we can identify with Him. After all, He is supposed to be like us. Hanging a picture of someone who looks like a homeless man on our wall is not someone we can identify with. 


We want Him to look clean and approachable, like us.

But my guess is that it wasn't his outward appearance that made him approachable and desirable.

It was his gentle demeanor. His accepting smile. His forgiving eyes. His merciful spirit. His goodness. His God-ness.

Jesus didn't focus on outward appearance, and neither should I.

I'm afraid that my hair has become my idol. 

EW!


How shallow is that???


Confession:
Every time I look in the mirror, I turn my lip up like Elvis. I am disgusted with the way I look. My hair looks messy and my face looks old. I'm heavier than I've ever been and the way I seem to deal with that is by eating more. 

I'm not happy with my outward appearance.

But in focusing on that, I've neglected to look at my heart in that mirror. Because all I see is me...the outward appearance.

Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart (1 Sam 16:7).

How is the condition of my heart?

How much time do I spend caring about and caring for others?

Am I so focused on myself and how disappointed I am with myself, that I fail to see the needs of others around me? 

It's time to stop thinking so much about how I look, because the worse I feel about myself, the more I start fishing for compliments from others. And that kind of action propels me backwards into approval-seeking behavior, which perpetuates the belief that my worth and value is determined through others' perception of me. 

EW again.

I want to look in the mirror and see my Savior reflected back. I want to see the heart of Jesus, with all His compassion...both for myself and for others. I want to feel the heartbeat of my Savior in my own. I want my heart to reflect His to the point where it can be seen on the outside, like the picture of the Sacred Heart; where that is what people notice about me, not my hair or the shape of my body. 

For if I cannot love myself the way I am, I cannot love others. 

And I really want to be other-focused. 
Making peace with my  hair 
(after finally buying a round styling brush).
Blessings Along the Path,
Mare


sharing this post with Sharing His Beauty, Playdates With God, Good Morning Monday, Testimony Tuesday, Unite, #RaRaLinkup, Coffee For Your Heart, Wedded Wednesday, Word-Filled Wednesday







12 comments:

  1. I've always wished that the movies and the artists who try to portray Jesus would get a Jewish looking man. That's my pet peeve, Mary! After all, Jews have a distinctive look and Jesus was supposed to be someone that "did not have any beauty or majesty to attract" us to him. He was your average, ordinary Jewish man that you probably couldn't have picked out of a crowd, except for the authority and power he clearly wielded in every encounter. I agree too that bad hair probably was a hazard when you're often sleeping out under the stars with a patch of grass for your pillow! So often we do make those insignificant things like hair more important than they are. I'm right there with you on that one! But I do think your hair looks great, so I guess the new brush is a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Beth! I'm still making peace...daily...I think there's a whole lot more to that statement than just my hair...thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  2. I agree... I have a Bible blog for kids. All I can find for graphics are 'Americanized' graphics. Jesus just looked like every other guy at that time and He is not portrayed corectly for what we know about His era and where He is from. But, your hair looks great! Thanks for sharing! Visiting from Rich Faith Rising.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie! Well, I guess it would be hard to get kids interested in a mangy looking guy, huh?

      Delete
  3. This was a great read today! Thank you for sharing! I am sad that I, too, focus too much on my outward appearance and wish I looked better -- different. Proverbs 31 always comes to mind, and I get convicted big time.
    Thank you for this post!
    Visiting from #RaRalinkup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dana. I think we all struggle with self-image to some degree. Oh to be like Jesus. Thanks for the visit.

      Delete
  4. I was chuckling a little as I read this. I am using a broken brush right now too and unruly hair just seems to be my lot in life. I love that picture of the Sacrd Heart of Jesus. What a neat idea to use it as a visual of how we can live our lives!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not alone...but yours most likely broke out from an unruly head of hair, not an unruly person wielding the brush...sigh. Thanks for visiting, Jenni.

      Delete
  5. Well I think the pic you posted of yourself is simply beautiful! And I love how you challenged us to be more focused on our hearts and a need to serve others in this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nicki. I was fishing for compliments and you bit! Haha, just kidding. But thank you.

      Delete
  6. I like this. I think Jesus be like, "messy hair don't care."
    He's in the serious business of saving souls so who cares what His hair is. Though I think, since He's perfect, He still looks good no matter what. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, great points and I think your hair looks lovely. thanks for sharing at Good Morning Mondays. Blessings

    ReplyDelete