Monday, March 30, 2015

Voices of the Crucifixion: Claudia: "I Knew He Was Innocent."

All this week...Holy Week...I am taking on a different character who was involved in some way with Jesus and His crucifixion. While I have made every attempt to stay biblically correct, I have taken some creative license. These blogs are my interpretation of what may have gone on inside these individuals' heads. Our story continues in the governor's mansion, otherwise known as Pilate's palace, early in the morning on the day of crucifixion.
Photo courtesy of Wikipedia

I'm not one who typically gets into "mumbo-jumbo" kind of stuff. I go to sleep and I suppose I dream, but I don't remember my dreams.  I'm usually so tired from caring  for the needs of my husband and our rather large staff, that I just fall into bed, and the next thing I know it's morning.

My name is Claudia and I am the wife of a very important man who makes very important decisions every day. Many times those decisions affect the fate of others. He is a governor. Perhaps you've heard of him. Pontius Pilate. Very important.


Well, anyway, very early this morning I had a dream...one that I not only remembered, but one which caused me great distress. It was so vivid! I dreamed that my husband, the governor, the one who decides the fate of others, sent an innocent man to his death. 


I can still see the man's face. Calm, like a lamb being led to the slaughter. He didn't struggle or defend himself. But he looked right at me, and his eyes pierced my soul, as if he could see everything I'd ever done, yet loved me so much he forgave me all of it. I knew he was innocent.

I couldn't sleep the rest of the morning. My soul felt distressed. My husband was awakened very early by a great disturbance from all the important men. They had a man with them, along with a list of accusations against this man. 


I peeked through the drapes from inside my bed chamber, and I swear, for an instant the man's eyes locked with my own. I gasped with realization! It was him! The man in my dream! I knew that face, those eyes. And I knew he was innocent.

I quickly summoned my servant to give my husband this message. "Don't have anything to do with that innocent man, for I have suffered a great deal today in a dream because of him."


I feared he would not receive it in time. I watched as my servant handed the note to my husband, who quickly read it and glanced in my direction. I couldn't hear everything he said, but I heard the crowd. They were becoming more unruly. He needed to do something quickly.


I silently prayed to the gods that my husband would heed my warning. I didn't know who this man was; this man who seemed to have to power to look into the depths of my soul; but I knew he was innocent.


sharing this post with Sharing His Beauty, Playdates With God, Good Morning Monday

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful way to immerse yourself in the Easter story, Mary. I've always been intrigued by Claudia, and wondered about the impact Jesus' death may have had on her relationship with her husband. It's an interesting thing to ponder. Many blessings to you this Easter!

    ReplyDelete