Saturday, March 28, 2015

Voices of the Crucifixion: Malchus: "Who Exactly Is This Man Called Jesus?"

All this week...Holy Week...I will be taking on a different character who was involved in some way with Jesus and His crucifixion. While I have made every attempt to stay biblically correct, I have taken some creative license. These blogs are my interpretation of what may have gone on inside these individuals' heads. Our story begins in Gethsemane, on the eve of crucifixion (For my long-time readers, my apologies if you've already read these...I've resurrected...pun sort of intended...them from last year).


My name is Malchus. I am a servant of the high priest, Caiaphus. It is an honor for me to serve El Shaddai, G-d Almighty, through serving Caiaphus. I am committed and loyal by nature, and zealous to serve and protect Caiaphus. 

He is a very important and holy man. He is the only one allowed to enter the Holy of Holies on the Day of Atonement in order to make a sacrifice for our sins. I am grateful for this holy man of G-d, and for the opportunity to serve him. 

When I stepped forward last night I shouldn't have been surprised at the wounds I would incur, but I am still pondering...who exactly is this man called Yeshua, Jesus?


One of his followers, who called himself Judas, had previously arranged to deliver this Jesus to us. We were sent by the chief priests and the elders of the people to bring this Jesus back to Caiaphus, the high priest, the one I serve. We carried clubs, swords, torches and lanterns in the olive grove. Judas bent to greet Jesus with a kiss, the pre-arranged signal, and Jesus said to him, "Judas, are you betraying the Son of Man with a kiss? Friend, do what you came for."


What happened next was so fast, yet it seemed to happen in slow motion. It seemed as if Jesus lowered his eyes in what appeared to be sorrow and disappointment at his friend's betrayal, and when he did, my eyes connected with his for the briefest of moments. What I saw in his eyes was not the eyes of a criminal, but something I cannot explain. Peace, love, acceptance, recognition...and forgiveness for every sin I've ever committed and for what was about to happen. How is it even possible for all of that to be in someone's eyes? And how is it even possible to convey that to another person in a fraction of a second? As I said, I cannot explain it.


What struck me odd was that there was complete peace in this man. He never fought back. He never raised his voice or his hands in his defense. It was almost as if he knew it was going to happen. 


As we stepped forward to seize and arrest Jesus, his followers were quick to come to his defense. We raised our clubs and our swords to fight, and one of his followers, who seemed as zealous for his master as I am for mine, came at me with a sword. Before I knew what happened, he had cut off my ear! I stood in shock, wondering if I should try to find my ear on the ground, find something to stop the bleeding or continue to fight against these zealots.


Suddenly, I felt this incredible heat where my ear had been. I found myself looking into the very eyes I had looked into moments before. As he touched my ear, Jesus spoke with such authority that we all stopped. "No more of this!" He instructed. "Put your sword away. Shall I not drink the cup the Father has given me? It must happen this way!" Did he know this would happen? Was he a prophet?


Jesus came peacefully with us and we led him away to Caiaphus. His followers dispersed, along with the crowd. Everything seemed to go back to "normal." But I was never "normal" after that. Only a few minutes ago, I had two ears, then I had one, then I had two again! This was no ordinary man. No ordinary man could replace an ear with the touch of his hand. 


He touched me and I was made whole. Both on the outside and the inside. When I arrived in the garden, I was dedicated to Caiaphus, and I will continue to serve him with the same dedication I always had. But within moments, my life changed. Who exactly is this man called Jesus? Could it be that he really is the Son of G-d, the Long-Awaited One, The Messiah?


this post was shared with The Weekend Brew, Sunday Stillness, Blessing Counters

9 comments:

  1. What a great look into a little-known character from the Easter account. Thanks for linking up at the Weekend Brew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be nice to see the story from other people's points of view as well. So many things happened during that time. So many stories to tell. Thanks for sharing this to us, Mary.

    Have a peaceful Holy Week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often think it will be interesting when in heaven to find out who of the Jews, who had tried to kill Jesus and tried to beat so many of the others...and may have come to the Lord and might have been among those who were killed around and about. We'll see so many when we get there. Sometimes I can hardly wait! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. It's been nice getting to know you.

      Delete
    2. What a blessing to finally see who you are and how we have been connecting a bit. I sure will see you every time I can. I really have liked what and how you are posting. Thank you much. Just made me smile, bigtime today. ;-)

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful perspective you presented today. I enjoyed hearing Malchus' story from his viewpoint. Barbie and I are so glad you linked up at The Weekend Brew. Thank you for being a faithful encourager over there!

    ReplyDelete