Saturday, April 18, 2015

Live in the Now!

A few weeks ago, my mother underwent triple bypass surgery. She is now in rehab on the road to recovery.

Last night while we were visiting, her roommate made a comment that I haven't been able to forget:

"I'll never dance at my grandson's wedding."


"Why?" I asked. 

I didn't want to pry, but it seemed like she wanted me to know. She had a knee replacement, and I thought that maybe she was having complications that would prevent her from walking or dancing. But wasn't that why she was in rehab?

Her response?

"I won't be alive."

Okay, now I had to pry. Did she have cancer or something on top of the knee problem?

"Why do you say that?" I asked.

"He's one. He won't get married for at least 20 years. I won't be here then."

Being the Positive Polly that I've become, I had to encourage her. Actually, I really wanted to slap her. I don't know how old she is, but she certainly isn't of the age where dying is a reality anytime soon.

"You don't know that. You need to be positive."

She scoffed. I guessed that she wasn't a very positive person. She was more like a person with a doom and gloom outlook. 

I thought of how Jesus asked the man lying by the Pool at Bethesda, "Do you want to get well?" (John 5:6) Some people identify with their maladies. To take that away would cause them to redefine who they are...they've lived too long that way...to give it up is scary.


No, thank you. I'd rather continue to complain.

I didn't say much else because I'd only just met her. I wasn't sure how much I could say without overstepping boundaries; I certainly hadn't earned the right to slap her yet.

Or maybe I was just chicken.

I thought about her words last night and again this morning. Here is what I wish I could have said to her, and maybe, if the opportunity arises, I just might be able to:
  • You don't know if your grandson will get married in twenty years, thirty years or even if he will get married at all. Enjoy him now.
  • Not one of us knows the day, the hour or the moment of our death. Enjoy life now.

And most important:

By focusing on what you think you'll never do, you miss what you can do right now. Celebrate who you are now.

Enjoy your grandson's milestones. Enjoy the smiles, the laughter, the love and hugs he has to give you now.

I have a friend who lives her life in a wheelchair. When I asked her about dancing, she told me, "I dance in my chair. Who needs legs?"

Dear ones, don't be like Mom's roommate. Don't focus on what you can't do, what you won't have and what you think you'll never be. When you do that...

You rob yourself of the joy of living in the moment. And you rob your loved ones of enjoying the real you.

You miss out on discovering your potential. 

You miss life going on around you and in you. Your vision is so clouded by fear, worry, doubt, or anxiety that your focus remains inward, and you never see the needs or the beauty of others, of nature, of life.

You miss opportunities to laugh.

Not to mention, that you are throwing away the gift of life that God gave you. He celebrates you. You should too!

Live in the moment. Live in the now. 

Don't wait twenty years to dance. Dance now. 


Blessings Along the Path,
Mare

This post was shared with Barbie at The Weekend Brew, Janis at Sunday Stillness, Deb at Blessing Counters, Laura at Playdates With God, Joan at Sharing His Beauty, Holly at Testimony Tuesday, Kelly at #RaRa Linkup, Holley at Coffee For Your Heart, Beth at Wedded Wednesday, Deb at Blessing Counters, Lyli at Thought-Provoking Thursday, Crystal at Thriving Thursdays

20 comments:

  1. By focusing on what you think you'll never do, you miss what you can do right now. <-- This is just the most beautiful wake up call I've heard this week. People are complaining left and right (especially at work) and sometimes I feel like their negative energy is rubbing off me. My, my, I've been missing a lot. I choose to be happy. I choose to live in the now.

    Thanks Mary for this yet again another beautiful reminder. :) You rock!

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Lux! I'm so glad that ministered to you. Sometimes it seems like it's easier to get sucked into the negative vortex than to pull people out into the positive realm. Glad you've been rescued! haha. Thanks for the kind words.

      Delete
  2. You nailed it! This does align with my post today about the lens we look through in life. My favorite words today were these.. By focusing on what you think you'll never do, you miss what you can do right now. Celebrate who you are now. So blessed you shared this at The Weekend Brew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, when I read your post, I thought it was so similar, only you got more into the lenses of God, which I really liked. Thanks for taking the time to read

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the reminder to live each day in the now. It's easy to get caught up in the tomorrows but we know the Lord encourages us to live each day as it comes and to it's fullest in Him.

    I'm visiting from the Sharing His Beauty link-up : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Cathy, we all get caught up in the tomorrows, but now is so important, regardless of our outlook of the future. Even as I type this, my first words are in the past. That's what's so cool about NOW! Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen Mary! I have said for years, "I want to live until I die!" Embrace every day as a gift and LIVE! Thank you this blessed me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great motto, Deb! So many people really don't know what it means to "live"...they sort of just exist...sad.

      Delete
  6. I needed this... I struggle with worrying about things other than just enjoying the moment and what God is giving me through it. Thank you!!! Visiting from the RaRaLinkup :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel, I had to learn how to do that myself. It didn't come natural to me, that's for sure...but it kind of does now.

      Delete
  7. I love that image in read, Mary. And this post is true wisdom. Thanks for reminding me to appreciate each moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laur for you very kind words. And thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  8. Amen! Great post. It's all in our attitudes isn't it? We are miserable because we choose to be so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie. Yes, that's very true. And some folks have been miserable for so long that they don't know anything else.

      Delete
  9. This is such a great post! I have been thinking lately about how much negativity can really ruin our lives. And if you are truly living in the moment and not obsessing over the past or the present, much of that negativity wouldn't be there. Thanks so much for sharing! I'm glad I found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great point, Miranda! Thanks for visiting

      Delete
  10. Dance now. Amen! Had to bop over here after spilling my Pepsi. ; ) Love your positive outlook and the way you focus on joy. Life is a gift, thanks for the reminder to embrace it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenni, I will remember your Pepsi story forever. How likely is it that you'd spill a soft drink in someone's mouth?! Thanks for bopping by

      Delete
  11. It's taken a LOT of years (don't ask how many!) to get the fact through my head that I can't learn to be content and look at, talk about, worry over, fuss over what I don't have! Sounds like a no-brainer, right, Mary? Well, for me I think it's something I've had in my brain, but really not until recently in my heart. It's something I'm finally learning to embrace and live in. Thanks for the hope you provided to us in this message today, my friend! I bet you're a good dancer! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, if you like comedy, you'd love to watch me dance. I am choreographically challenged.

      Delete