Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Simplify

Over the past two years, I've learned to simplify my life by saying no to a lot of things I'd like to do, and to many I feel I "should" do (and then kick myself afterwards). 



Part of simplifying your life is 
     knowing when to say yes and when to say no, 
          when to hold on to something and when to let it go.
Recognizing the important, 
     and eliminating the fluff.
Spending time doing what you love,
     not what you think you ought to be doing.
Seeing, really seeing people,
     and taking time to take your time.


Do you need to simplify your life?

  1. What area of your life have you been saying "Yes!" to when you always want to say "No"?  Do you need to learn to say "No!"? Practice in the mirror!
  2. What have you been holding on to that you need to let go of? Maybe it's something you've been doing for years out of obligation or routine.
  3. What aspects of your life are fluff and can be eliminated, even if you enjoy them, in order to create more time?
  4. What do you love doing? Are you doing it? Or are you doing things that you think you "should" be doing, and not enjoying it? (See #2)
  5. Do you see people...really see them? Do you stop long enough to hear their response to your, "How are you?" or do you keep going? Do you listen when they need to talk, or are you moving on, if not physically, in your mind? Do you take the time to really care about people? 
  6. Do you take time to do everything you do or do you just check the obligations/duties/responsibilities off your to-do list?
  7. Do you take time for yourself?
  8. Do you take your time?


It might be time to give up...

  • Give up a responsibility that can be passed on or contracted out.
  • Give up something you enjoy in order to do something else that you love doing.
  • Give up an obligatory task that has run its course.
  • Give up your need to take care of everyone. That's God's job. And He's waiting for us to give up so He can take over!
Simplify!

Blessings Along the Path,
Mare

I will be taking a blog break for awhile. A family member needs my attention more than this blog does right now. Part of simplifying my life at this time, I guess, is giving up something that I love in order to care for someone I love. I'll be back at some point; I just don't know when.

Sharing this post with Playdates With God, Sharing His Beauty, Testimony Tuesday, #RaRaLinkup, Unite, Coffee For Your Heart, Wedded Wednesday, Blessing Counters, The Weekend Brew, Grace and Truth, Sunday Stillness

9 comments:

  1. Such a good reminder to stop being busy just for the sake of being busy! Thanks so much for sharing. I know there are some areas I should re-evaluate as well. I am glad I was linked up next to you at the Messy Marriage blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Miranda! Thank you for taking the time to stop by.

      Delete
  2. Recent events have shown me that I really do need to simplify! May God help us to put Him first, and then everything else will fall into place. Linked up with you at Kelly Balarie -- hope you'll stop by Saved by Grace for a visit!
    God bless,
    Laurie
    http://savedbygracebiblestudy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Laurie. That's the key...put God first, then He will show us our priorities!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so resonating with this post, Mary! A simpler lifestyle has been calling my name for a few years now and I am grateful. You're so wise to take a break to focus on the ones you love ...

    This is one choice that you won't regret.

    Please reconnect when you come back, ok?

    ;-}

    ReplyDelete
  5. Life's really better simplified, I can attest to that. I've been simplifying since time immemorial. You really have to ask yourself why you need it and if you really need it or you're just justifying before you get it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was such a good reminder for me today. I need to simplify my life in a lot of areas. I am so glad you shared this at The Weekend Brew.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, aren't we all guilty? I have the tendency to do that too. Beat myself up with worry and could have been like it can change anything.

    That's why I love grace. Our imperfections and sins are saved by grace.

    Happy Friday! Hope you embrace grace always.

    ReplyDelete