Monday, May 11, 2015

I Want to Be a Palindrome

Do you have a favorite letter?

Okay, I know that's a goofy question...who has a favorite letter?

Well, I do.


I love the letter "P."



I didn't set out to find the Perfect letter. It just happened. Some of my favorite words just happened to start with the letter "P."

Party. Pretty. Pleasure. Papaya. Pansies. Prayer.



Perhaps it's due to my being a recovering Perfectionist.

Or the fact that I was once a Prodigal (and sometimes still am).

Or maybe it's because I used to be Negative Nancy and chose to become Positive Polly (which was, incidentally, my grandmother's name).

Or because I try to see Purpose. Possibility. Promise in every situation and circumstance.

And lately, I've noticed that my Perception of things determines my Perspective.

Saying Please and thank you, and being Polite are important to me.

Prizes are nice too.

So is Playing. Remember how to do that?



And in case you were wondering, yes, my favorite color is Purple.

You know what's a really cool "P" word?

Palindrome...do you know what that is?

Mom. Civic. Race car. Kayak. Do geese see God? 

Something that reads the same backward or forward.



I want to be a Palindrome.

A Palindrome seems to say, "Don't mess with me."

It's unshakable. Immovable. Purposeful. 

When someone looks at my life, at my actions, they only see what I'm presenting in the front, in the moment. But what happens if they look from behind (I'm so glad I can't see back there...)? 

Is my history, my Past actions, consistent with my Present?

Am I real? Or do I Pretend to be something up front and another "behind the stage," so to speak?

Is my "yes" a yes and my "no" a no? Or do I flounder and then allow myself to succumb (see May 6 post) to anger, resentment, gossip and slander?

Is my concern genuine, or am I trying to impress someone by showing "how much I care?"

Do I do nice and good things simply to bless another, or am I trying to earn favor?

When you read my life, is it the same backward as it is forward? 

I Proclaim to be a believer of God and follower of Christ. Would I still hold on to that belief if I were in danger of losing my life?

These are questions I'd like to say I can answer "correctly," but if I'm honest, there are times when I know I've messed up and acted out of selfishness, pride, arrogance, fear or guilt.

It is during those times that I feel Pitiful. Powerless.

And that's not the image I want to Portray to others, especially as I walk this Christian walk. 

God is a Palindrome of forgiveness. No matter how you read Him, His grace is the same backward and forward. His mercy is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. 

Only by the grace and mercy of Abba, my "Daddy God," the ultimate palindrome, can I go from Pitiful to Powerful. 

A Palindrome of love.

Blessings Along the Path,
Mare


Sharing this post with Laura at Playdates With God, Joan at Sharing His BeautyHolly at Testimony Tuesday, Kelly at #RaRa Linkup, Holley at Coffee For Your Heart, Beth at Wedded WednesdayDeb at Blessing Counters, Arabah Joy at Grace & TruthBarbie at The Weekend Brew, Janis at Sunday Stillness   

4 comments:

  1. Palindromes are amazing. I think it's for geniuses.
    But now that you asked, I wonder what my favorite letter is. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they are pretty cool. Especially the sentences...thanks for stopping by Lux!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mare! You have a lot of powerful "P" words here! And purple is my favorite color too, BTW.
    I hope that I can always be a beautiful, powerful flower for the Lord. And that I could be the same backwards and forwards is a great insight. I never thought about that before!
    I'm your neighbor at #RaRa Linkup,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Ceil! It's not always easy, but with God's grace...thanks for stopping by

    ReplyDelete