Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Extending Kindness From the Courtesy Car

Every now and then, you just need a funny story, don't you?

Well, I'm still chuckling from this one, and I hope it makes you laugh today, especially if you're feeling downtrodden, lonely, or experiencing any other emotion that might make laughter seem like something you used to do, but don't do much anymore.

I just offended someone by being nice.

I'm a very courteous driver. I've often wondered if I tick people off behind me in traffic because I tend to stop a lot and let others out of side streets or parking lots. I always stop at the crosswalk when someone wants to cross. I'm just not in a hurry anymore, and I don't really care if the person behind me is.

Well, I went out to pick up lunch for myself and my co-workers. I guess I must have made a courtesy stop a time or two. Then I noticed a woman standing on the sidewalk who appeared to want to cross, but she wasn't in the crosswalk. I stopped anyway.  After she crossed, the person behind me gave me a little toot. I thought, 

Why is he honking at me?

I continued on my way and I heard the guy again. This time it was less of a toot and more of a honk. I probably stopped to let a car out.

I started to get just a tad annoyed, but if I gave in to that, I'd only be coming down to his level. And I wasn't letting a harried stranger cause me to lose my peace!

So I stuck my arm out the window and waved to him, as if I knew him.

Oh, hello! How are you? Can't stop...I'm in my car!

That just made him more mad!

So he honked again.

I waved again.

He honked louder and longer.

I waved more dramatically and longer.

His honks became angrier.

My waves became friendlier.


And then I started laughing uncontrollably.  I found the situation to be quite hysterical.

Do people realized how stupid they look when they get angry all alone in their cars?

My stop was coming up, and I made sure to give him plenty of warning by putting my turn signal on at the Motor Vehicle required 100 feet prior to my turning. 

He grew silent.

Oh, it was too good to be true.  He hadn't forgiven me that easy.  

No, he was saving it up for one last blast.

And blast he did!

As I turned into the deli, he leaned on that horn just to make sure I knew how much he didn't appreciate my kindness!

As I turned, I leaned out the window, waved frantically and yelled, "Bye!"

I'm sure I made a difference in his day.

He sure made one in mine.  I haven't laughed so hard in weeks!

Blessings Along the Path,
Mare

sharing this post with Holly at Testimony Tuesday, Kelly at #RaRa LinkupHolley at Coffee For Your Heart, Beth at Wedded WednesdayDeb at Blessing Counters, Arabah Joy at Grace & TruthBarbie at The Weekend Brew, Janis at Sunday Stillness, Crystal at Thriving Thursdays

14 comments:

  1. Well, is that all it takes to get you laughing histerically, Mary? I bet I could really get you going, since I am a former-tail-gater. My husband is always getting on me for that, so I try to slow down and enjoy the ride. Maybe I'm becoming a bit more like you, my friend. I hope so! Patience and humor are sorely needed these days! Love your sweet heart and funny bone, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, I feel all my emotions in a grand way...I was sitting in the courtesy car yesterday trying to pair my phone and when it wouldn't work, I threw a fit..Hubster told me that perhaps I needed to wave at myself.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for this smile today. This was just priceless. Keep on with your acts of kindness!! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth. I loved the whole concept of "the courtesy car" so much that I thought of getting one of those magnetic signs made up, but then people would be constantly looking to me for a break, and I'd never be able to lose my cool. So I nixed the idea.

      Delete
  3. Ha! This was great! I believe God has a sense of humor, and I love seeing humor in action. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Sam. Glad I could give you a chuckle today. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! Braking for random acts of kindness. May we all be caught in that act. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb! I wasn't so successful today. His mercies are new every morning...

      Delete
  6. Oh that's hysterical! Just yesterday, I accidentally cut someone off, changing lanes closer than I intended. They flashed their lights, and I tried to give the sorry wave. They followed me home. Fortunately I noticed they could be following me and turned into different streets, pulling up to a house. They passed by without incident. Kind of creepy, but it all worked out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, that IS creepy. You just never know what will set people off. I know that sorry wave very well. And you scrunch up your face and mouth, "Sooooreeee!" Haha.

      Delete
  7. Love this story - our pastor told about the same story one time. A man was annoyed with him in traffic and gave him a rude hand gesture and he just gave him a big smile and waved like he was his long lost friend. He said he chuckled all the rest of the way home remembering his face. !!! Heaping flaming coals of fire comes to mind !!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it! Thanks for stopping by, Rebecca

      Delete
  8. I love this and the love that you showed with your friendly waves. Keep up the courtesy car acts. Thank you for sharing at The Weekend Brew.

    ReplyDelete