Friday, May 15, 2015

Waving at Myself From the Courtesy Car

I've been having technical issues with my car's bluetooth system. Calls keep dropping off the bluetooth and then I have to scramble around for my phone, all the while yelling, "Hold on, hold on!" The person on the other end is still chatting away, oblivious to my dilemma. When I locate the phone, I have to put it on speaker, only to have the bluetooth reconnect. 

This technical issue also causes my music to constantly stop, cut in and out, or not connect at all, and I end up either listening to my playlist on my phone within the car, or throwing in a Joyce Meyer teaching cd (there's always one handy...and it's usually on something like not throwing a fit when I don't get my way). Sometimes I even do something crazy and turn it all off and pray!

I took my phone to the Verizon store, thinking that could be the problem. The guy there tried to pair my phone again. That made it worse. I now had no connectivity at all. So, when I got home, I sat in the driveway and had an argument with the lady in the computer.

"Say a command."
"Pair phone."
"That call cannot be completed. Try again."
"PAIR PHONE!
"Say Phone book or Security."
"NO!"
"Available commands are cancel, go back or repeat."
"CANCEL!"

This went on and on. I was eventually successful in pairing the phone, but it rejected the pairing once I tried to play music. And now the phone didn't even work on a phone call. 

I pitched a fit. Where was Joyce now?

I was tired. I was hungry. I was frustrated. 

And I was spoiled. I wanted my music. Whahhhhhh!

I yelled. I called the phone stupid. I called the car stupid. I called the computer lady stupid, which was really stupid, since she wasn't a she at all. She was a computer made to sound like a she. 

Then I thought about my neighbor who had just had surgery for a possible cancerous growth. She is already a two time cancer survivor and is now fighting against a third bout.

And I was upset about my phone not connecting to my car.

Wow.

Spoiled?

A little.

I finally decided that my attempts were futile. The phone probably needed to be unpaired and then paired again, but that was way beyond my capabilities.

I went inside and called the dealer. He told me to bring the car over and he'd take a look at it.

Meanwhile, I noticed that Hubster had cooked the dinner than I'd brought home and he had taken out of the car during my fit-pitching session.

I apologized every which way to the Hubs. I felt ashamed and embarrassed and...stupid.

Instead of fueling that, which he could have, he gracefully kept preparing the meal and said, "I think you need to give yourself a wave."

Huh?

And then I realized he was referring to the Courtesy Car



I stop for acts of kindness for random strangers, but I won't extend the same courtesy to myself. Am I not as worthy of the same kindness? 

I think he also meant that if I waved to myself from the Courtesy Car, I'd diffuse my own anger (If you don't know what I'm talking about, you need to read Extending Kindness From the Courtesy Car). 

It was a kind man's version of saying, "Stop it! Just...KNOCK IT OFF!"

I chuckled.

It was a funny statement, but one that was also loaded with grace, mercy, forgiveness, and abundant love...a statement perhaps, straight from the Holy Spirit (I constantly marvel at why my husband continues to extend grace to me in spite of my hissy fits).

The dinner was great. 

And so, by the way, is my man, who suggested we go see the dealer after dinner, which we did, and where the salesman fixed the problem.

Be kind to yourself.

Diffuse your own anger. 

Give yourself a wave.

Blessings From the Courtesy Car,
Mare

sharing this post with Deb at Blessing Counters, Arabah Joy at Grace & TruthBarbie at The Weekend Brew, Janis at Sunday StillnessLaura at Playdates With God, Joan at Sharing His BeautyHolly at Testimony Tuesday, Kelly at #RaRa LinkupHolley at Coffee For Your Heart, Beth at Wedded Wednesday   


4 comments:

  1. Oh, I really enjoyed this one! I'll be coming back to read more! Thanks for the honesty and the laughs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Dede. Thanks for following!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love part 2 as much as part 1. Great lesson. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Mary! What a great story. I smiled and nodded my head all the way through because I can completely relate. I love how your husband gave you some space to deal with your emotions and showed you such grace. Thanks for sharing with us at Grace and Truth last week! :)
    Jen @ Being Confident of This

    ReplyDelete