Friday, June 19, 2015

The Eleventh Habit and BFFs

Earlier this week, I listed 10 Habits of the Person With the Gift of Shut Up. Last night, I realized that I'd forgotten one very important one----

THINK!


Yes, think before you speak. I guess I forgot because that's the one I always seem to forget when it's important to remember, as in...when I should be doing it!


Last night my BFF and I went out to dinner to celebrate our birthdays, and then to Paint Night, where we surprised ourselves with our artistic talent!



We were relaxing at dinner, joking around, laughing, drinking some wine, and eating, like BFFs do, when I blurted out something unkind (and later promised her that I wouldn't tell the world what I said when I asked her if I could share this story on my blog).

She just looked at me, as if to say, "You didn't really just say that, did you?" 


"Thanks," she said. She always uses fewer words than I do.


I JUST posted a blog about the gift of shut up, and already I forgot it???


I insulted her and hurt her feelings with 8 little words. All because I neglected to think before I spoke.


Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs...be kind and compassionate to one another (Eph 4:29-32).


I immediately apologized, and tried to backpedal, but once those words are out, there's no taking them back.


The great thing about BFFs is that they forgive you... 


...forgiving each other, just as in Christ, God forgave you (Eph 4:32)


...because they know your flaws, your shortcomings...your stupidity at times. They probably come to expect it. And they love you anyway. 




And the great thing about BFFs who are "of a certain age," is that they forget once you move on to the next fun thing.


My BFF has always been a better friend to me than I have been to her. I've spent years telling her that, yet she keeps hanging out with me. 


Therefore, encourage one another, and build one another up, just as in fact you are doing (1 Thess 5:11)


If you can find one person in your life who will do that, then you've found a BFF for life...which is I guess what the second "F" in BFF is for.


If you can be that BFF to someone else, all the better. Just try to think before you speak.


Blessings Along the Path

Mare

Sharing this post with Beth at Wedded WednesdayDeb at Blessing Counters, Arabah Joy at Grace & TruthBarbie at The Weekend Brew, Janis at Sunday Stillness,

3 comments:

  1. I love your artistic creations Mary! And that you have a friend who is willing to forgive you when you stumble, that's a precious thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my BFF's. They are awesome women who have made an impact in my life. And we have so much fun together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, some people really lack this habit. They speak before the thought could even be processed in their minds.

    ReplyDelete