Friday, July 10, 2015

Make Smart Choices: What Did I Know?

When I was a young(er) mom, I fed my children chicken nuggets and macaroni & cheese.  I gave them juice packs that were loaded with sugar.  Sports drinks were a favorite drink as well.  Sugary sweets and processed foods were prevalent in our home.



If I were raising my children now, I would definitely not cook the above meal or hand them the same juice boxes.  Sports drinks would be allowed only if they were exercising or involved in a sports activity, not as a daily beverage choice (See article for more information). Of course, there is that occasional fast-food "treat," but being on the other side of wisdom, I think I would make better choices today.

What did I know? I was trying to survive being a mom. Later on--a single mom. A single, working mom who just wanted peace and a little time to myself. So I took the easy way. I gave in. A lot.

Actually, I did know. I knew that these were not healthy choices. I just didn't know as much as I know now about processed foods and sugar. About a healthy diet and how it affects every other part of our life.  About making smart choices.



It's all about choices. Making smart choices.

Maybe I did know about making smart choices and chose ignorance anyway because it was easier.

I woke up this in a less than great mood the other day. I'd gone to bed feeling that way, and I allowed the mood to continue after I awoke. In fact, I kind of wallowed in it.  

When my pity party got boring, I told myself that I didn't have to stay there. There are a lot of reasons for the myriad of feelings I felt, and I could choose to let them overwhelm me and just check out, or I could deal with them...one by one.

It's all about choices. Making smart choices.

Too often we allow our feelings to dictate us instead of the other way around. We make excuses and assign blame so that we can stay in our supposed ignorance. We act like I did as a young(er) mom---"Well, what did I know?"

The truth is, we're really not all that ignorant. Most of the time, we know. Too often, we choose to pretend that we're ignorant (even lying to ourselves!) so that we can feel sorry for ourselves. We choose not to make the smarter choice because it's easier to give in to the unhealthy option.

Choosing to stay in our ignorance--our feigned ignorance--is still a choice.  It's just not a smart choice.

Whether it's about our health/diet, exercise, the way we raise our children, or our thoughts, actions or emotions, whatever it is that we're feigning ignorance about, we will grow stagnant--and stupid-- if we continue to insist that we don't know any better, or that we didn't have a choice. 

We need to stop lying to ourselves. We do know better. And we always have a choice.


What are you feigning ignorance about today?
Are you making a smart choice?

It's never too late to turn it around and choose Truth...choose life!

So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed him, "If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." 
John 8:31-32

This day I call the heavens and the earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live.  
Deut 30:19

Blessings Along the Path,
Mare

I may share this post with any or all of the following: 
Joan at Sharing His Beauty, Laura at Playdates With God, Holly at Testimony Tuesday, Kelly at #RaRa Cheerleading Linkup, Beth at Wedded Wednesday, Holley at Coffee For Your Heart, Crystal at Thriving Thursdays, Deb at Blessing Counters, Barbie and Mary at The Weekend Brew, Janis at Sunday Stillness, Kaylene at Grace and Truth, Arabah Joy at Grace and Truth



9 comments:

  1. Truths there. Visiting from Counting My Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for this insightful post. It is all about making choices. And only we can change the choices we make. Visiting from Count My Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, Rebecca. And I had to take my own advice that evening!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for stopping by, Ariella (sorry, can't figure out how to get the dots on top of the e---I'm so ignorant, I don't even know what they're called).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen Mary! I think it's interesting that lies seem to shout at us while the truth whispers. Yet we still have the choice by grace to choose truth. What an awesome God we serve! Thanks for faithfully joining the CMB Link Party. Enjoy a blessing-filled week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great thoughts, Mary. I have been known to wallow. :/
    Thanks for linking up with Grace & Truth this week!

    ReplyDelete