Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Driving Like a Dog

The heart of a man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps 
Proverbs 16:9

I picked up my grand-dog, Chinook after work to stay with us for a few days, but I had to stop to water a friend's flowers while she was away. Her house is on a main road--and not fenced in--so I left Chinook in the car. Because of the heat, I left the car idling with the air conditioning blasting while I took care of my business. 

After I watered the flowers in the front, I came around to the back where the car was, and saw Chinook sitting at the wheel!



I suppose he grew anxious between wondering why he was in Grandma's car, and then why I'd disappeared. He had made his way from the back to the front (and in the process left a few "presents" in the back seat. I thought it was so funny, that I just had to snap this picture and send it to my son (after I cleaned up the mess in the back--thank God for seat covers!).

So much of what I do in my life is done in the same way. 

I don't wait well.

I'm impatient, impulsive, and impetuous.

I get anxious when I'm idling. I wonder how much longer I'll have to wait until God shows up to drive and we actually go somewhere.

I try to drive the spiritual car that only God knows how to drive and in the process, I sometimes leave a mess for God to clean up after me. 

I'm no smarter than a Golden Retriever. 

I sit in the driver's seat--where I don't belong--and look at the controls. I wonder how to make this thing go. Everything around me is a blur, because I'm so focused on me and moving forward in Me Stuff (I purposely blurred the edges of the picture for that effect). I ignore what's around me. All I see is Ahead. If I can just manage to move forward, maybe I'll find God in the process, because He seems to have disappeared. He was here, but now it looks like He's gone. I'm not sure when He'll be back, and I've got to get going on this (fill in the blank--for me, it's the book I'm not writing, but want to be) or I'll miss the opportunity. Someone else might get chosen over me.

And then God shows up.

I think He chuckles first at my sitting there, willing this thing forward. Then He cleans up the mess I've left in the wake of my anxiety and lack of caring about anyone but myself. 

He opens the driver's side door, and gently says, "Come on, you need to get out and let me drive." 

I comply. I'm tired. Anxiety and needless worrying do that. Like Carrie Underwood sings, I say, "Jesus, Take the Wheel."



I awkwardly hop off the seat that is not the right size for me anyway and out the door. He opens the back door--not the passenger's side door--He doesn't need a co-pilot. I gladly leap in. Truthfully, it's much more comfortable back here. There's room for me to stretch out and relax, knowing that my Master is in control. 

As long as He knows where we're going, there is no cause for concern. 

Whatever it is you're fighting the Lord about today, whatever it is you're trying to do on your own, why not give it up? Let it go. Stop fighting for control. Let Him drive. Stretch out in the back seat. Relax. If someone gets a turn before you, don't worry, He knows where you are; He hasn't forgotten you. He still has a plan for your life. Your life is important to Him.

After all, He is still in charge. We just forget when He's not in our line of vision. 

Blessings Along the Path,
Mare

Sharing this blog with these faithful bloggers







14 comments:

  1. I had to pop over here when I saw the picture of the dog at the wheel. My son has a golden and it reminds me of him. I have this habit of trying to be in charge and take control often and I should learn after the first time that I'm not very good at it. Thank you for the reminder today to hand it all over to Jesus. It will be in good hands. Wednesday blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary. I laugh every time I see that picture.

      Delete
  2. Mary, my male poodle loves to jump into the driver's seat when I leave him in the car, too. I love the picture. Great analogy of how we try to take the wheel. I'll remember that next time Max tries to drive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Thanks Debbie. They are adorable creatures, and so are we...but sometimes just as dumb.

      Delete
  3. What a cute analogy. :) So true, life is a lot more peaceful with Jesus as our chauffeur. Sometimes we forget how comfortable it can be in the back seat. :) Thanks for sharing today. ((hug)) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I never thought of Him as my chauffeur. Interesting thought. Thanks for stopping in for a visit, Brenda.

      Delete
  4. This was a perfect picture of what we all want to do with the Lord, Mary! I'm right there next to you and your granddog making a mess and climbing up to the driver's seat--anxiously trying to see what is taking God so long! Yep! Busted! And oh my, I don't think I'd be laughing at the mess your granddog left! So glad you kept your sense of humor about it all! But then the payoff for a stellar post, as well as, reality check was worth it, right?! Love your humor, my sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, Chinook is so adorable, and such a good dog, that when he does something like that, it's because he's just lost control (he's also 13 years old). So, while it was, at first, sort of mind boggling...like, "What is that and why did you do it?" I felt sorry for him. And it wasn't directly on the seat--there's a doggy cover on the back seat (at least he did it in the back BEFORE he hopped on up---got to do our business before we can go about our business!

      Delete
  5. What a cute little dog! This is a good reminder for me, but I'm not very good with scooting over to let God take the wheel unfortunately :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think any of us are, Elizabeth. Thanks for taking some time to read my little blog.

      Delete
  6. Dogs are God's creatures given to us to keep us smiling. Thanks for this lesson. I love the picture--it makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this picture and love your heart! Thanks for the insight and inspiration today!

    Happy day friend!
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a wonderful illustration on how we in our impatience want to steer the wagon of our lives, instead of trusting to God's timing and growing in patience ... I surely needed this today, Mary!
    Thank you & Blessings to your weekend,
    Nina xx

    ReplyDelete