Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Spiritual Kale

Taste and see that the Lord is good. 
Psalm 34:8

Remember when kale was for decorative purposes only? 



When I was younger, kale was only found in deli cases as that curly green border between cold cuts and salads, or in a restaurant, on your plate as a garnish. No one actually ATE kale. I'm pretty sure it was grown simply for garnishing and decorating.

Then it became a "superfood." (Was the word, "superfood," even a word before kale become one?) Suddenly, everyone wanted kale. People raved on their Facebook posts about how they made homemade kale chips. I tried to understand, but I felt like a six year old kid missing the punchline of an adult-themed joke. Yummy and kale just didn't seem to go together for me. Chips and kale most certainly didn't.

Until I decided to start eating healthy. 

I buy kale now. 

That's right. I said I buy kale. I didn't say I eat it. 



I try to hide it among the romaine lettuce in my salad, but I still know it's there. I add it to soups that already have plenty of other ingredients in it. I put it in my nutritional shake so that I don't have to physically eat it. It may be good for you, but I still don't like it. It's bitter.

The thing is, I know it's really good for me, so I eat it. And I'm actually beginning to like it.

My bible is a lot like kale. 

I'm sharing the rest of my story today over at Counting My Blessings. I hope you'll join me over there, and say hello to our hostess, Deb Wolf. It's only a click away.

Blessing Along the Path,
Mare

Deb and I will be joining some of these link-up parties this week

8 comments:

  1. What a great example and, like kale, it gets better and better and it truly SWEET!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take your word, Donna, but grudgingly (I am, of course, referring to the kale).

      Delete
  2. Interesting equation here...kale and the Bible! I love it and understood the connection right away! So, I guess I needed the kale part so that I would get the Bible part!
    Caring through Christ, ~ linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda. If God can speak through a donkey, I guess He can speak through kale too!

      Delete