Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Twice Baked Scripture-Staying Out of Egypt

Yesterday we took a brief trip to Egypt with the rebellious Israelites and learned that we often flee to Egypt ourselves. Seeking safety and protection from the oppression we were delivered out of is tricky business, and not too smart! We do it anyway, don't we?

But God 

offers a way out in this verse from Isaiah 30:15:


And that's just what those rebellious Israelites did, right?

WRONG!

If we read further in Isaiah 30, we learn that they would have none of it. They STILL wanted to do things in their own strength. They wanted nothing to do with repentance, rest, quietness or trust. How was that going to win a battle??? I don't know about you, but I can relate to that. Haven't I said the same thing when turmoil is swirling around me?

Yet...

The Lord longs to be gracious to you; 
He rises to show you compassion.
For the Lord is a God of justice. 
Blessed are all who wait for him! (Is 30:18)

He rises from His heavenly throne to come to our aid. The verses following in Isaiah 30 say that as soon as He hears our cries for help, He will answer us (v19). We will hear His voice directing our steps, and we will throw away our idols (v22), finally rejecting the help that comes from Egypt--that false security.



God is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and rich in love (Psalm 145:8), and He is faithful to His promises (v13). When it seems as though there is a delay to his graciousness, it is only because he is giving us time to repent. He's gracious in even that.

His promises are many (and these are just in two chapters!): 

  • Salvation comes from repentance and rest (Is 30:15). 
  • Strength is found in quietness and confidence/trust (Is 30:15).
  • The fruit of righteousness will be peace (Is 32:17).
  • The effect of righteousness will be quietness and confidence forever (Is 32:17).
  • We will live in peaceful dwelling places, in secure homes and in undisturbed places of rest (Is 32:18).

Peace comes from acknowledging the Lord (Hos 2:19-20)

Not in Egypt.
Not in false security.
Not in the land of hardship and distress.

But in acknowledgment of the Lord.

And it starts with repentance.

Will you join me? Let's turn out backs on the Egypt that we too often seek refuge from so that we can live fully in the promises of God (check out my latest video, Livin' in the Promises).



If your heart is convicted; if you have been saying, "Stop confronting me," or if you "would have none of it," then join me in this prayer of repentance:

Father God, I come humbly to You today with a heavy heart. I've been shuttling down to Egypt in an effort to placate myself, in an effort to find security and peace. Yet, this very same Egypt is the one you delivered me from. (Take a moment and ask God to reveal your "Egypt" if you don't know it. Once you have it, name it). I realize that this will never bring me freedom and will never satisfy me. It gives me false security.

My security can only be found in You, my Savior, my Redeemer, my Jesus. You brought me up out of Egypt and I have turned my back on you forsaking you each time I attempt to find peace and fulfillment there. 

I repent of my rebellion, my unwillingness to listen to your direction and my obstinate nature. You know my weaknesses, Lord, and you know that I cannot do it alone. I need your help. Your word says that as soon as you hear my cries for help, you answer. So, even if I don't hear your voice or feel your presence, I know you've heard me and I know that you've risen to show me compassion, justice and mercy. Your grace will heal all my wounds.


Help me to rest in You, God. Help me to seek peace and pursue it (1 Peter 3:11). Help me to be quiet and trust You. Only then will I be confident of my faith and Your strength.

I desire to go down to Egypt no more. Instead, I desire to live in a peaceful dwelling place, in a secure home, and in an undisturbed place of rest.

Help me to stay out of Egypt!
In Jesus precious name

I'll be praying for you!

Blessings Along the Path,
Mare

Sharing this post with some of these lovely blogs

Sources:
Matthew Henry Commentary on Isaiah 30
BibleStudyTools.com

10 comments:

  1. Glorious post, Mary!!! I love what you're doing with the music videos, too.This is a powerful message. I'm taking notes for myself--always struggling with the still and knowing part.
    Joy!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Kathy. You're such an encourager! God's got me stuck in Isaiah 30. And as long as I'm "stuck" there, I may as well make the most of it. I'm taking notes too! I struggle with all the parts!

      Delete
  2. Mare, how fun to be next to you two days in a row! I love this "The fruit of righteousness will be peace, and the effect of righteousness will be quietness and confidence forever" (Is 32:17). What sweet fruits come from walking with Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debbie. I've been enjoying your posts too!

      Delete
  3. Trusting in God's invisible strength instead of our own visible strength is so tough for us fleshly beings. But so right and so much more effective. Thanks for the encouragement to let go of MY abilities and grab on to Christ's abilities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, Lisa, I seem to be stuck here in Isaiah 30, which is okay. I must need to really get all of this down-and there is so much rich scripture and lessons in this chapter

      Delete
  4. Hi Mare! What a great video! You have a lot of ideas and apply them so well to the images that go along with the song so well.
    Those Israelites, huh? Quite the stiff-necked people. I guess things haven't changed much, because I can be very stubborn too. Being quiet instead of jumping into action just seems counter-intuitive, but that's often what I am called to be. I think it will take my whole life to get used to that.
    Thank you for your good words :)
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're in good company, Ceil. And thank you for the kind words--to know that someone actually watched the video is encouraging in itself! Thank you for taking the time to do so.

      Delete
  5. That's a beautiful heartfelt prayer. And I say, we need it so much today.
    Thanks for showing the way through this reflection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And one I seem to need every day, Lux. Good to see your beautiful face and comments here today.

      Delete