Friday, October 2, 2015

Finding Joy in Music

Praise the Lord!
Psalm 150:6


I came across this video on Facebook. I don't typically spend much time on Facebook, if I even go on at all. But because I'm a musician and I grew up listening to Chicago, and there was this young boy playing the drums along to "Make Me Smile," I clicked on the video (if video doesn't display, click here). And because I'm seeking to discover joy, I'm being more intentional and thoughtful of what comes into my life. 

His name is Avery Molek, and he is 8 years old. Yes, 8. And an incredible drummer.



What joy!

First, the joy in the song choice! What 8 year old listens to music his grandparents listened to? Yes, I said grandparents. Most likely it is before even his parents' time (circa 1970).

And the song itself--"Make Me Smile." What a wonderful song to brighten a day. Of course, it's a pseudo-love song, but still...

But what really brought ME joy was seeing the joy on this kid's face! He sings along--then suddenly, he just breaks out into a smile--several times! Finally, you can almost see him go to a place where all musicians go when we are "feeling the groove." It's a place of bliss, of freedom, of creativity, of...something that can only be felt and experienced. 

I believe that place is one of connection. Connection with our Creator--the One who instilled this passion in us--a longing that calls out to the Creator of our beings to fill us with more as our creative expression overflows and bubbles up out of us--a place of thankfulness, of love, of joy.

You don't have to be a musician to experience this. 

I have often felt it while expressing praise and extending worship to God. As I lift my hands and sing with abandon my joy overflows, and I offer all I have to Him. He takes my paltry offering and fills me with more and I offer it back and it just keeps going!

Sometimes I've even felt it when I've been in a place of pain.

The psalmists understood this. Most of the psalms begin with a lament but always end in praise. Why?

Well, as I always say: I'm no theologian. I'm just an ordinary woman who serves an extraordinary God, but here's my opinion anyway:

Music.

The psalms were sung, not spoken. Even if you're lamenting to God--if you're doing it through music, you're bound to turn it around into a praise at some point. That's just the way God works.


Psalm 150, the very last psalm---the encore, if you will--tells us to praise God with all we have. With every instrument and even through dance. I love that he includes loud clashing cymbals! 

You may not be a musician, but you can make a joyful noise to the Lord! 

Break forth into joyous song and sing praises! 
Psalm 98:4

I pray that you find joy in music today, and that if your soul is downcast, some notes of joy will find their way into the core of your being...and make you smile.

Blessing Along the Joyful Path,
Mare 


sharing this post with some of these lovely bloggers

12 comments:

  1. He alone deserves our praise. :)
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! As a fellow musician I have been to that place where the music transports you somewhere else; into the presence of God. What an amazing feeling! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Cheryl! I haven't seen you in the blog linkups before-I love meeting new bloggers! I loved your pics on your blog btw.

      Delete
  3. This post reminds me of my oldest daughter. She's four-years-old and LOVES music. I'm not exaggerating when I say that she is never NOT singing! :) I absolutely love it. She sings the songs from her Bible study class with so much joy on her face. There's something so precious about hearing a four-year-old sing "At the Cross" with no reservations. She's not ashamed to sing songs to God, and I pray she never stops singing. :) Thank you for your beautiful post.

    Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you for sharing that, Alyssa. That really is true joy-unreserved praise. And what a joy to hear that. I pray she never stops either! Ray Charles said something about being born with music in him, like it was a part of who he was at birth. Maybe your daughter has some of that. I hope no one ever tries to quench her thirst! Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  4. WOWOWOW! I'm in tears of complete JOY watching this child excel at HIS girl Yep, God gave him this gift and oh, how he is using it. Made me think of Malcolm Gladwell's 10,000 hours rule and wonder if this kiddo already has 10,000 hours of drumming in--most folks take 20 years to develop a talent, yet he ROCKS it! (had to put that pun in there) Thank you so much for sharing, Mary. Hugs, Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm so glad you watched the video, Susan! So many of us have so little time to spend on everyone's blogs, and sometimes we just don't have time to watch a video. I watch this one over and over--the boy is amazing! And the joy! Oh, the joy! BTW, I won a copy of your book from Paris Renae (sp?) and had it sent to my friend in FL who lost her husband a few months ago. She is reading it and is so thankful for it. Thank you!

      Delete
  5. Loved this post!! Well said and illustrated, my sister!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam, and thank you for taking the time to visit!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Pam, and thank you for taking the time to visit!

      Delete