Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Little Pockets of Joy

I bought my coffee this morning for a quarter. Yes, a QUARTER! Well, technically, it was 27 cents with tax. 


Dunkin' Donuts offers coffee for 25 cents the day after your local team wins a football game if you pay with your DD app. Since we have TWO teams -- the Giants and the Jets -- the chances are pretty good that on any given Monday or Friday or even Tuesday, I might get a cheap cuppa coffee. I'm not sure, but I think it costs 25 cents because of the term, "quarterback." If it's not, it should be because that's pretty clever. 

Not only did I get a cheap cuppa joe, but I got a coupon for a free coffee, since I accumulated the necessary points by using my app each time I make a purchase. Double wham!



Then, I received an e-mail from the weight loss center with a $5 amazon.com gift card for reaching a 5% weight loss milestone. 

A triple play!

Oops, wrong sport. Eh, whatever. As long as I get free stuff, who cares?!

It really doesn't take much to make me smile, to make me happy, to bring joy to my life. It's in the little things -- a 25 cent cuppa coffee, a coupon for a free coffee, a gift card for a job well done. Things to tuck into my pocket for some time later when I might need a little pick-me-up.

It's easy to take these little things for granted, especially when the day catches up with us and overwhelms us with the big stuff.



That's exactly why we need that little stuff. We need to remember those little pockets of joy during times when we might feel under-appreciated or under-valued or under-loved. Sometimes we need to FIND those little pockets of joy -- 
that little thing that creates for us a moment of validation or appreciation. Things that we tuck away to pull out of our pockets some time later...when we need a little pick-me-up.

We need to intentionally choose joy.

Because face it, we don't always get the encouragement we'd like from those we'd like to get it from. Sometimes we need to encourage ourselves.

So, dear one, use those rewards cards, rack up those points, download the app...get free stuff! It might not seem like much, but you might just get something for free when you least expect it. And who doesn't like free?

I dare you -- find a little pocket of joy today! Or pull something out of your pocket-something you'd forgotten you tucked away for later. And when you do--spread it. A little joy goes a long way.

Blessings Along the Path,
Mare

sharing this blog with some of these lovely bloggers and with Write 31 Days


6 comments:

  1. Love the choose joy artwork. Where can I get it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it on Google Images under Choose Joy ("Free to Use without license"), but when I pinned it to my board, the creator's page was attached. Denise Day Smith-she has a lot of similar artwork. https://www.flickr.com/photos/denisedaysmith/

      Delete
  2. I second that observation about the artwork, Mary! And I also agree that it's the simple and small things in life that make me happy. Don't know why I keep running after the bigger things. This is a great reminder that we must keep before us ... "choose" joy or else it just won't happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's human nature to run after the bigger things, Beth. Human nature that wants to be recognized for doing something great and big. But God wants us to be faithful in the little things and I believe He reveals Himself to us in those little things. BTW, I used my coupon for the free coffee on my app tonight and saw that I had ANOTHER free coffee! These people at Dunkin Donuts must think I'm a nut job--getting all happy about a free coffee. If happy=nut job, then so be it.

      Delete
  3. Mary, you are so right. Those little things can bring such joy! Thanks for the reminder. It makes me want to do something for someone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie--do it! Pay for the person behind you in line. Listen like you care. Let someone out in traffic. It doesn't take much and it feels really good. thanks for stopping by!

      Delete