Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Spreading Joy and Encouragement

No matter how many times I have my blood drawn, I never quite get over that tiny bit of nervousness about having my skin (and vein) punctured.

My phlebotomist, Jerry is the best. I call him mine because he draws my blood every time I go. He's taught me a lot about the methods of drawing blood, the right ways and wrong ways, why people bruise (don't ask me--I don't remember) and how to avoid it (that's all I care about-and he does it right! I never bruise.).

I told him this today--that I never quite get used to having my blood drawn, and he told me it was all psychological. We tell ourselves it's going to hurt, or remember past negative and painful experiences. It's all in our heads.

He's right, of course.

We talked about how we worry about things needlessly. I shared with him that I'd heard somewhere that something like 80 percent of what we worry about actually never comes true.

Suddenly, the other phlebotomist appeared in the doorway. She just stood there with an expressionless face and said in an equally expressionless tone, "Really?"

I wasn't sure if she was responding to me, or something that was between her and Jerry because she didn't really look at anyone. Then as quickly as she appeared, she disappeared.

That was odd.

I said to the empty doorway, "Yes, really."

Then to Jerry, "I'm not sure if she was talking to me, but it sure seemed appropriate. And hey, if I could encourage her today, then I'm off to a great start to the day."


After we were finished, Jerry handed me a slip of paper with instructions to do an online survey. I never take the time to do these things, but he said, "If you have time, it would be great if you could take a short survey."

"Absolutely, Jerry!" I said. "You're the best!"

He stopped momentarily and looked at me as if no one had ever said that. Maybe no one had. People don't typically stop to thank the person who stuck a needle in their arm.

It wasn't even 7:30 in the morning, and I'd already encouraged two people. I found tremendous joy in that!

It doesn't take much to encourage someone. A kind word. A compliment instead of a complaint. And like my statement, sometimes you have no idea how what you say will affect someone who is listening. 

Positivity is contagious. So is negativity. Which would you prefer to spread today?

Why not find someone to compliment today-the grocery store cashier, the receptionist at the doctor's office, the babysitter, the person on the other end of the phone who solves your problem? Tell someone what a good job they're doing.

Spread positivity. Spread encouragement. Spread joy!

Blessings Along the Path,
Mare

PS:  Don't forget about my giveaway (and DaySpring's)! 

Click here for more details. Open till October 30.

sharing this blog with some of these lovely bloggers and with Write 31 Days

This is part of the Write 31


2 comments:

  1. Did you have to show a photo?? I'm getting a little woozy just looking at that! I am so NOT a good needle person. Yes, I've had some *masters* along the way that do it really well, but still...gotta stop, feeling woozy again!

    But, I just love how you turned this rather unpleasant experience into an opportunity to be encouraging to others. So many times we take for granted the people who do things in service, and it's good to recognize them for their wonderful efforts. I always make a point of noticing people's nametags, and then using their names somehow in conversation. It's amazing how much that small gesture makes a difference! I'm sure you just made Jerry's day, and that other person, too. And really, isn't this part of our job as representatives of Jesus? To shine His light into the lives of others?!

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, that was the least "revealing" that I could find. You don't want to know what the others showed. Haha, I'm the same way. I didn't like looking at the pictures. It's really not hard to just offer an kind word. Yes, I agree, it is part of our job--and it should be a pleasant part of our job!

      Delete