Sunday, October 4, 2015

The Joy of an "Aha!" moment

Have you ever come across a scripture that you've read a thousand times, and read it for the thousand and first time as if you'd never seen it before?

Well, that's what happened to me last night!

I've been doing a bible study by Annie Pajcic called Planted, which focuses on Psalm 1:1-3:

Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither; whatever he does prospers.

I came across it by accident and ordered it. I'm so glad I did!

I was doing one of the assignments last night, diligently reading the assigned verses, and answering the questions (even though I am doing this by myself).



Suddenly, I read this verse like I'd never seen it before. (God speaking of Adam after he and Eve ate the apple):

The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil (Genesis 3:22)

Wait...whaaaaat? 

He has become like one of us? 

Didn't the serpent tell Adam and Eve that if they ate the fruit, they would NOT die, as they were led to believe, and their eyes would be opened and they would be like God, knowing good and evil? 

He did indeed. In Genesis 3:5. He also told them that God knew that's what would happen because God knew all about that tree. 

Soooo...the serpent didn't lie?

Hmmmm....no. At least not about that. 

He tempted. He twisted and distorted the truth. He made that knowledge sound enticing. 
That's what he does best.

That was my first "Aha!"




But the second one was more perplexing.

God continues (in Gen 3:22) to tell Jesus and the Holy Spirit (He's talking to someone and calls them "us" so it must be them) that

He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever.

And that's when God banished Adam and Eve from the garden. 

HOW did I never see this before? 

To be completely honest, I really couldn't understand why God didn't want them to eat from the tree of life. Why must "They" not let him eat from it?

I pondered. I got nuthin'. I read it over and over. Still nuthin'. So I went to my trusty Wycliffe Bible Commentary on my bookshelf. And what I read was not so much an "Aha!" moment, but a moment of joyful "WOW!"


Here's what it says:

A necessary and merciful act. The Lord could not allow rebellious man access to the tree of life. With loving care, he kept Adam and Eve away from the fruit that would make them immortal and thus perpetuate the terrible condition into which sin had brought them."

WOW. Just...wow. 

Prior to partaking of that blasted fruit, Adam and Eve did not know evil NOR good. They just knew God. 

But when they ate from the Tree of the knowledge of good and evil, their eyes were indeed opened, and they now knew both. If they lived forever, they would forever be tormented by knowing good AND evil.

God banished them for their own good. Not so much for the sin, but for their protection. It was a loving and merciful thing to do; it wasn't something that was done out of anger or disappointment in his kids. Can you imagine living forever in our human state? Sure, people say they'd like to, but that's really only out of fear-fear of death. We know the ending, which is really our beginning. 

The commentary ends with this:

The way back into Eden was guarded not only by the cherubim but also by a revolving sword-like flame. This gave further assurance that man would not make his way to the tree of life. Though man's paradise was closed to him because he had become a sinner, Jehovah did not forget his creatures. He had already made provision for their triumphant return.

Later, those cherubim would hover over the mercy seat on the ark of the covenant, symbolizing the atoning sacrifice of Christ. 

I'd say that those Three knew what they were doing, wouldn't you?

Oh the joy of discovering the Word of God anew!

Blessings Along the Path,
Mare

sharing this blog with some of these lovely bloggers and with Write 31 Days

4 comments:

  1. What a great peek into your study! Congratulations to you for pondering and pondering (and gettin' nuthin') before consulting a commentary. I struggle to do that, because I know it's important to do, but I get impatient . . .
    This is a really terrific post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michele! I think it's important for us to seek the counsel of our Father, the True Expert on the Word first before consulting the "experts, " but I'm grateful for those commentaries! They shed some light on the scripture, and the Light Himself applies it in our lives.

      Delete
  2. I love moments like this! I'm always so eager to call my husband at work and tell him what I just read, ha! Its amazing how God's Word always seems fresh and alive throughout each time you read it. (I laughed out loud at the guy with the light bulb picture, great choice! ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been in a Precepts Bible study class for nearly 10 years. There are constant AHA moments, as we study verse by verse, word by word. I always am amazed by what I've read so many times, and yet when it is broken down, word by word, using Greek and Hebrew dictionaries, the words come alive! What joy!

    ReplyDelete