Saturday, October 17, 2015

The Joy of Enough

I left the house at 6:45 this morning and got home twelve hours later. It was a long day, and I didn't sleep well last night. I was tired.

When I walked in the door, Hubbles was already cooking dinner. What a joy THAT was!

I spied the receipt from the auto repair shop sitting on counter. Hubbles had the day off and decided to have the oil changed in his car.

"So, what was the damage?" I asked.
"A LOT," he replied.

For an oil change?

Of course it wasn't for just an oil change. They made it sound like his car was falling apart. It was significantly more than an oil change. My stomach dropped.

"You didn't put this on the debit card, did you?"

"Yes, I did."
"I was going to pay off the credit card."


Well, that really doesn't make sense. If he had paid the car bill with a credit card instead of the debit card just so that I could pay off the credit card with the money in the checking account, wouldn't that pretty much be the same as what he did? 

Still...I wanted to pay off that credit card! 

Because I was tired and hungry, and because my budget plan went awry, I whined and grumbled.

Then I remembered the two checks sitting in my car from clients. We had planned on building up the savings account with them so that we could buy those kayaks we've had our eyes on.


Okay, wait...


So...you want to spend money on kayaks--toys--but the money spent on necessary car repairs is not okay?

Well....yeah...

Something's wrong with this picture.


Yeah, I know. Priorities.

When I remembered that I had to write a blog post for tomorrow (Write 31 Days), I said, "Let's see, where did I find joy today?"

I did not say this thoughtfully, prayerfully, or in a tone that suggested I was ready to get down to writing.


No...I said it VERY sarcastically. I was still miffed that I couldn't pay that darned credit card. And still really tired, although there was joy in having just eaten a healthy meal I didn't have to prepare.

"Well," said Hubbles. "maybe you could say you found joy in getting socked with a bunch of bills. There's not much joy in that!"

"No," I replied, "but there is joy in having the money to pay them."

There is joy in having jobs that give us paychecks. There is joy in that extra money sitting in my car. There is joy in knowing that what we've been given is enough. More than enough, really.

Kayaks can wait. 

Priorities.


Blessings Along the Path,
Mare


PS:  Don't forget about my giveaway (and DaySpring's)! 

Click here for more details. Open till October 30.

sharing this blog with some of these lovely bloggers and with Write 31 Days

This is part of the Write 31 Days series. Click here to read other posts about Intentional Joy!

2 comments:

  1. Joy in "more than enough," -- amen. :) It's easy to forget sometimes that everything we have is from His generous hand. And, it's so much more than enough. :) Thanks for sharing, Mare. Happy to be neighboring you at Weekend Whispers this morning. ((blessings))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why do we often (me so included) tend to look on the negative side of a situation first. But usually if I can just take a deep breath and let the joy come I will be OK. Thanks for sharing the "more than enough" joy. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete