Monday, October 26, 2015

There is Joy in Resting

Today I rested. After all, it is the Sabbath.

I woke up so late that I was already late for church. I don't know why I was so tired, but I didn't try to fight it.

I really wanted to go for a Sunday run because I found a street not too far from me that, much to my delight, is flat-ish (not an easy find in my neck of the woods). So I was excited to try a new route. 

But I was soooo tired. And the bottoms of my feet hurt, maybe from running all week. I've been pushing myself, trying to train for this upcoming 5K that I signed up for.

Hubbles has been wanting cider dogs from Hacklebarney Farms Cider Mill all month, so we finally decided to take a trip out there today, and then buy that new lamp I've been wanting. 


Then a quick stop at the grocery store for soup makings for dinner. 

I kept thinking, I'll get that run in later.

But as much as I wanted to in my head, my body just wasn't up to it. I was soooooo tired.

So we came home, put the Sweet Root Soup on to cook (click here for recipe), and took naps.

I gave up on the run. I'm just too tired.

Some days, you just have to give in to rest. Stop pushing yourself so hard. Turn your brain and your body off.

Did you notice that the first two letters in rest are RE? As in re-generate. Re-juvenate. Re-charge. Re-fuel. Re-joice.


There is joy in rest.

I think that Rest is a bit of a loner. She loves her friends, Joy, Gratitude, Peace, Patience, Goodness, Mercy and all the others, but she needs to be alone to best live her life. She can be found in many places, but because she is so quiet and longs for solitude, she is often overlooked, and has to be sought out to be found. 

She prefers the tall grasses, the sandy shores of the ocean, the deep forests, and the gentle mossy banks of a quiet stream. She beckons to the travelers, but they often ignore her, anxious to get to their destination. To spend time with Rest would only slow them down. They are on a journey and it's very important that they get to where they're going as soon as possible,

That's okay. Rest knows that they will need her soon, and when they do, she will be there to meet them, even if it is not in her preferred location. Her desire is to meet the travelers where they are. She longs to bring them to her home, but she knows that only a select few will come.

Still, she waits. And rests, because she knows that she'll be needed soon.

I pray that you will seek and find Rest this week---whether you need to recharge, refuel, or rejoice. Because if you don't, you can be sure that she'll eventually find you.

Blessings Along the Path,
Mare


Don't forget that I'm giving away free books! THREE winners can choose a book from my list (click here to access). All you have to do is comment-on here, by email or on Facebook! I'll keep the giveaway open till the end of the month.

Fight Back With Joy: Celebrate More. Regret Less. Stare Down Your Greatest Fears (Margaret Feinberg)

Made to Crave: Satisfying Your Deepest Desire With God, Not Food (Lysa TerKeurst)

Power Thoughts: 12 Strategies to Win the Battle of the Mind (Joyce Meyer)

Audacious (Beth Moore)

Making Good Habits, Breaking Bad Habits: 14 New Behaviors That Will Energize Your Life (Joyce Meyer)

Planted: Sit, Stand, and Walk With Jesus--a 10-week Bible study (Annie Pajcic)--This is the Bible study I'm currently doing that I've referred to several times in this series.

Search for Significance: Seeing Your True Worth Through God's Eyes (Robert McGee)--This book changed my life many years ago.

God is Able (Priscilla Shirer)

Thank you for continuing to read, support, and encourage me! I value each and every reader.

Blessings Along the Path,
Mare

sharing this blog with some of these lovely bloggers and with Write 31 Days

This is part of the Write 31


14 comments:

  1. Best wishes in your good rest. Praying for you.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Victor. Thanks for visiting all the way from the U.K!

      Delete
  2. What a lovely restful day you had, and it reminds me of a George Herbert poem called The Pulley. Have you read it? Sometimes we are wise enough to let our weariness "toss" us toward God. Here's a link to the poem in case you haven't read it: http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/173635

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know that poem, Michele, but I do now--it's wonderful! And I'm really not a poetry person. Thanks for sharing that.

      Delete
  3. I think that we forget the enemy uses busyness as a tool to keep us from focusing on the Lord. While all the things we do may be good and beneficial, if we neglect our time with Jesus then we can't receive his guidance, love and encouragement. I'm a proponent of scheduling rest. Rest, not vacations. sounds odd, but I think we have make sure we have down time so we can hear God speak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, rest is very different from vacations! We often need to rest after those vacations!

      Delete
  4. It is amazing how a day of rest can feel so wonderful! And your soup looks wonderful! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did turn out pretty good, Joanne. I love just throwing things together to see how it turns out.

      Delete
  5. REST is vital, Mary, in order for us to fulfill all the plans He has for us. And I have a dear friend on some extended rest for a bit so I will send this to her. Thanks!! PS The soup sounds yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila-I hope it ministers to your friend. Good to see you here. Our paths haven't crossed in awhile.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you Gillena. Nice to meet a new friend!

      Delete
  7. It occurs to me that there is a difference between resting and just ceasing activity. Some of my most rest-less times are when I'm doing nothing. May the Lord teach us to strike a balance between times of God-purpose activity, and times to just stop and rest and drink in the peace of His presence.

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Last week, I was so tired after working in the yard, that I plopped on the couch and proceeded to watch about 6 hours of a Netflix series. At the time, it was sort of what I needed, but it was really an extreme waste of time. Balance!

      Delete