Monday, November 23, 2015

Fly in Me Face

There's a fly in my office that's driving me crazy.



It's the kind that seems to buzz all around your head and then, when you least expect it, flies straight into your face!

I'm usually pretty good at killing flies, but this sucker keeps getting away. 

It has become my purpose in life--at least for 9 hours a day--to get this darned fly! Especially after I saw him perching on the rim of my coffee cup.

And finally, I did!

But just when I breathed a sigh of relief, another one flew in my face! Then another! Three flies???

I've yet to get the other two, but it's certainly not for lack of trying. I've just got better things to do. Higher priorities than killing flies.

The weirdest thing is that I had only noticed one fly at a time. Did they take turns pestering me?

It reminds me of how satan and his minions work. 

Temptation is a distraction--like that pesky fly. Its starts with your simply noticing it--"Ew, there's a fly in here/Oh, that cookie looks good."


You go on with your work, but then it starts buzzing around your head.

"I'm kinda hungry...that cookie sure looked good. Maybe just a bite."

Then, when you least expect it, the darned thing flies straight at your face--the cookie lands right in your mouth!

You vow to do better next time.

The next day, that pesky thing is still going strong, buzzing around your head, getting downright obnoxious. You struggle to concentrate, but you're so aware of the fly/temptation that it's hard to notice anything else.

Then you grab your holy fly swatter--and you take authority over that temptation before it turns into sin (not that eating a cookie is sinful...I'm just using that as an example). You've had enough. 

"In the name of Jesus, be gone!"

SWAT! 

Splat! 

That bloody fly (and he was bloody too--sorry, TMI) is dead.

But just when you think you've got a handle on things, two more come in and pick up where their former ally left off, taking turns picking on you.

Demons rarely travel alone. Nor does temptation.

Think about the emotions that accompany that temptation, especially after it's turned into sin:

Self-pity
Guilt
Condemnation
Blame
Shame
Insecurity
Disgust
Anger
Fear
Pride
And many more...

Flies.

Pesky, annoying, dirty flies that become the focus of our attention.

Outward signs of inner turmoil.

But the thing is...

They're just flies. They're pesky, but harmless.

You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world (1 John 4:4)

We often overspiritualize or overemphasize our struggles, temptations, or situations. Yes, spiritual warfare is real, and can only be waged in the heavenly realm. 

But sometimes we give too much credit to our enemy--the devil-and his minions. Sometimes it's our own battle, not a spiritual one, and we blame it on "the enemy (that's a subject matter for another blog)."


And that's what he wants. Whatever way he can get attention, he'll take it.


But if God is greater...and He is...then we can ignore the flies and they will eventually die. Similarly, since God is greater, we can choose to ignore the temptation, and the accompanying feelings will go away.

Ignoring the temptations and struggles isn't always easy, but we can do everything with the help of Christ because He gives us strength (Phil 4:13). 

The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped (Psalm 28:7)

On a lighter note,here's a fun song for you to enjoy. 

Carly Simon--De Bat (Fly in Me Face)


What about you?

  • What "flies" are you allowing to distract you today? 
  • What temptation and its minions are flying in your face? 
  • Are you blaming something on "the enemy" and not taking responsibility for your lack of wanting to deal with the situation?
Remember, the One who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.

Go forth and destroy the flies!

Blessings Along the Path,
Mare

sharing this blog with some of these..










20 comments:

  1. I am so honored to call you friend, friend. This is brilliant in metaphor and so true. We had to set up the small room at a restaurant for my aunt's 85th birthday and the was A fly. But, as soon as we got him, there was another. And another. It got ridiculous. We only saw one at a time. You are so right. A deep spiritual lesson here.
    Joy!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it strange? Thank you for your always kind words! Have a gloriously grateful Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  2. I just noticed a fly in my living room. ha. Pesky irritations, distractions, interruptions…yes, I’d like to be done with all of them. But yes, God is greater! May I concentrate more on him today than on the "flies." Thanks, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, one of my co-workers has professed to be the "Fly-Whisperer" and has been trying to capture it with his bare hands (unsuccessfully thus far). There must be a metaphor in that! Thanks for stopping by to visit.

      Delete
  3. My favorite *fly* story happened on one of our family vacations. My youngest son had just bought one of those toy bow-and-arrow sets (with the suction cup arrows). When we arrived at the next hotel on our road trip, we entered a room with no air conditioning, and flies by the thousands (perhaps a bit of hyperbole). The rest of us sighed in great consternation. My youngest exulted, "Yes!! Look at all the targets!" He spent the rest of the afternoon and evening *skeet shooting* those flies like a pro!

    Pesky flies. Yes, they can be quite persistent. And killing them off can involve some *blood and guts*. Just like the battle to fight temptation. I really like how you pointed out that sometimes the battle is really within ourselves - a personality flaw or a temperament tendency. But, as you said, the enemy will be glad over ANYTHING that distracts us from the Lord. And we need to be diligent when fighting to keep our eyes focused on the ONE!! Swat, swat...

    Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours! May it be filled with faith, family, friends, fellowship...OK, and lots and lots of food!

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh I love that! It shows me that there is more than one way to look at those pesky flies! Some of us might dread them, others might simply find them annoying, and still others relish the idea of shooting our arrows at them. And never diminish the capability of a child to do so! Thanks for sharing, Sharon. Have a glorious Thanksgiving.

      Delete
  4. Mary, this is such a great post! I love the fly analogy! Your words here are so true, Love! What a blessing to visit with you today! Thank you so much for sharing! GOD bless you, beautiful friend! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tai. thanks for taking the time to visit.

      Delete
  5. Yes, I think flies get desperate this time of year because they know "the end is near." Maybe that fits in with your metaphor too, but I appreciate the way you took this fun post and made a great application. Whenever we see a buzzing fly in our house, we should pray for victory over temptation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Michele, that is another great metaphor! Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  6. Great words! We do give the enemy more credit than He deserves way too often. I have been working on the study Armor of God with my small group and this is one of the things that Priscilla Shirer mentions more than once in this study. Hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those pesky flies! Nothing gets me more worked up than a fly that I can't kill! ;) I've never thought about how they are like the small temptations that Satan and his minions constantly try to buzz around our heads, Mary. But that's a great analogy! Thankfully our Father's "demon-swatter" already finished them off! I guess we just need to remind them and ourselves of their loser status! Love you, girlfriend! Hope you have a spectacular (flyless) Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that, Beth-"our Father's demon-swatter already finished them off."

      Delete
  8. Yes, God is greater. We only have the power to defeat satan through Christ...and oh, such a blessing! The fly picture is a perfect one for me to remember the Truth. I am just a visual learner!
    Caring through Christ, ~ linda @ BeingWoven (http://beingwoven.org)
    visiting from Essential Friday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment, Linda. I too am a visual learner. Blessings to you.

      Delete
  9. Something just went wrong. I posted a comment here and then it vanished. Anyway; here goes again:

    You mentioning the flies reminded me of an encounter with a wasp/yellow jacket in the shower. http://timeforreflections.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/i-had-company-in-shower.html

    You're right in saying that temptations are like flies. Annoying at first, but they can lead us into real difficulties.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, I read your account. What a hoot! Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  10. Gosh, Mary ... your header is sheer delight! I could just visit and sit with the top few inches of your lovely space. So restful, inspiring, and joyful!

    Praising God for the healing that only He can bring ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda! I actually took that picture on the way to work one morning! PicMonkey helped to embellish it to make it pop.

      Delete