Wednesday, November 4, 2015

The Art of Juggling

I woke up this morning thinking about juggling.

Yeah, I know. Weird. I have no idea why, but it prompted me to think about how we "juggle" things in our lives.

I decided to do a little research on how to juggle.

WikiHow (How to Juggle) lists the steps of juggling that make it look so easy (although it takes a lot of practice). Here are a few:

1. Choose suitable balls.
WikiHow suggests beanbags because they won't roll away when dropped.

How many times have you heard people say, "I'm trying to juggle a full-time job, parenting, ministry, etc."? Or maybe you've said that yourself. Maybe you're in the midst of juggling a lot of things---a lot of heavy things.



If you're "dropping some of the balls," maybe you're simply not choosing suitable juggling material. Things like a job and family are obviously not optional juggling material, but could it be that these are your bean bags, your suitable juggling balls--the ones that won't roll away when dropped, and you're throwing in a ball or a plate--or a boulder? 

Could it be that you're taking on too much? Is it possible to let something go?

2.  Toss one ball for awhile to get the feel of juggling
Have you ever actually tried juggling without really knowing how to do it? I have. I just threw three balls up and they all came down. I wondered why I couldn't even catch one. 

Apparently, your hands are not supposed to move much when you juggle. 

Ever notice that when you're juggling several jobs, responsibilities or obligations you feel like an octopus? You might say, "I wish I had a third arm," or "I wish I could clone myself."


Taking on a second job, a third responsibility and a fourth ministry may seem noble, but if you haven't gotten that first ball figured out, it may result in a constant feeling of trying to catch up, or dropped balls.

There are, of course, more steps, which would take up way too much space on this blog, and too much of your reading time. I did, however, find some useful tips. Read these tips as they may relate to your current juggling. 


  • Begin juggling with your better hand.
  • Try to find a pattern that works best for you. That way, you can juggle with ease.
  • Relax, breathe, and don't get frustrated.
  • Remember to juggle objects that all weigh the same amount. This will be much, much easier.
  • If you find yourself constantly dropping the juggling balls, stop for a moment and refocus.

    And finally, my favorite:
    • A bed or a couch is useful for catching dropped balls.
    Absolutely! When all else fails, take to your bed!

    Are you trying to keep too many balls in the air? Have you started juggling too many things before you've gotten the hang of the first thing? Is there something that perhaps you could let go of--even, let it drop? 

    In case you're actually interested in the real hobby of juggling, here's a great video to get you started.




    Blessings Along the Path,
    Mare

    sharing this blog with some of these...
    photo credit (Clown) pixabay

    16 comments:

    1. What great spiritual lessons to be drawn from the art of juggling! Love what you did here, Mare! My least favorite circus act is that one when they have all the spinning plates on little sticks. I get so crazy nervous watching - oh no, that one's about to fall, what about that one, YIKES! Life feels that way to me sometimes!

      I'm just glad that when I'm too busy *clowning* around, The Ringmaster of My Life (the Lord) straightens the whole mess out!

      GOD BLESS!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're so funny, Sharon! I love your puns and sense of humor!

        Delete
    2. Wonderful metaphor. I am that girl whose always saying, "Throw me one more ball!"

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Then you must be a very experienced juggler, Helene! I used to be, and then I decided to let a few go and just enjoy the basic juggling! Thanks for stopping by.

        Delete
    3. I can juggle with three balls but ask me to switch it up or add any more and I need that bed or couch to catch them. I think we also have to be careful of becoming so comfortable with what and how we juggle that we are thrown off by any chance added into the mix! Great Spiritual illustration and you've made me look at juggling in a whole new way! #DanceWithJesus

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Can you really juggle? Wow, I'm impressed. It looks so hard. Thanks for visiting, Sarah.

        Delete
    4. What a great analogy! I once learned to juggle using the "klutz" method ... one step was ... drop a ball. Because -- it happens! And then it's time for grace. ;) Visiting from the linkups! Have a great weekend.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks, Dianne. I guess it's kind of like learning to ski-the first thing you learn is how to get up when you fall.

        Delete
    5. As I read your post I was recalling the time when I was juggling too much. The Lord helped me re-orgainize and develop a better (smaller) focus for my energy. Great analogy! I'm visiting from Weekend Whispers.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you Carol! Some people can juggle with 5 balls, some only two. I think we need to know what our limit is, then juggle them with the help of our Lord's direction!

        Delete
    6. What a humorous and wise post!! If you felt like it, I would love to have you come by and link up at the Friday Frivolity blog party I host - it runs through the weekend. :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. That's a new one for me, Sarah! I will definitely check it out this weekend. Sorry I missed it last weekend. Busy juggling! haha

        Delete
    7. What a terrific topic! I'm the type who isn't exactly coordinated so I must choose the number of balls to juggle carefully :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Carrie, I think that part of learning the art of juggling is knowing how many things we can comfortably juggle without getting sloppy (even if we don't drop them, we can hold on to things and not do them well!). And maybe, by our holding tightly to those things we ought to let go, we are robbing someone else of the opportunity to shine.

        Delete
    8. I tend to be a perfectionist, so juggling a bunch of "balls" is possible. The question is, how good am I really doing at each one. I think it is important to step back and asses how we are doing and if our ministries are suffering because of our stubbornness to keep "juggling" away. We may have the pieces all staying in the air, but could someone else juggle them (the ministries) better? Knowing when to walk away is so hard, and humbling. However, once you do and you see the person who really should be running the ministry soaring you kick yourself and wonder why you didn't give it up earlier.
      Thanks for this! I love the analogy. :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Amen! So well said. I completely agree. Sometimes, it's better to let go of something and let the next person in line take charge. Thanks for visiting.

        Delete