Monday, January 4, 2016

A Heart Like God

I am in a unique position.

The weight that I could resolve to lose in 2016 has already been lost in 2015 (and I hope it is never found!).

The exercise regimen that I could vow to take on has been in place for months. So that's not an option-able (yes, I know that's not a word) resolution to make.

I could resolve to write finish one of the many books I've started, but I think a more attainable goal would be to discover and put to use the tools to make my writing better, smoother, and more effective. To really get with God and discover what He wants me to write. 

More than all of that, though, is something that I've been feeling for the last six months or so:

I want to have a heart that is like the heart of God. I want to love like He does. I want to feel the heart of Jesus beating in my own.

So it only made sense that when it came time to "choose my word" for 2016, it came right away:

Service

At first, I was excited. I love to serve, to help, to encourage. Maybe that's because it's my love language (acts of service). If you're not familiar with that, then you need to read Gary Chapman's The Five Love Languages

To have a heart that is like the heart of God? When I first prayed that, it was with a deep, deep longing, and teary eyes. But lately, I've been thinking about this. Loving like Jesus loved isn't easy. Think prostitutes, tax-collectors, adulterers, lepers, dirty fishermen, betrayers, and so on.

Loving with the heart of God means to love without conditions. I admit it: I'm judgmental. I tend to turn my nose up at certain things or certain kinds of people. I want to serve and love when it's convenient for me or when it will earn me a nice pat on the back.

In other words--loving for attention. 

Ew. Just...ew.

Yet, that's the human me. The Spirit of God in me yearns to love unconditionally. To love those who are unlovable. Who have less, or have nothing. Who are in need. Who have no one. The needy. The unloved. The lonely. The sick. The housebound. And maybe just a friend who needs a shoulder to cry on, a meal, or a ride to the doctor.


That's the heart I long to have. 

Obviously, I can't serve everyone. But I can love everyone with the heart of Jesus, if I ask Him for it. And in turn, He will let me know where, when, how and who I can serve.

I'm excited about this new heart, this anticipated service to the King. I long for my heart to be softened, not hardened, as is so easy to do in these troubled times. I long for my heart to be caring, unselfish, and other-focused.

I will give you a new heart, and I will put a new spirit in you. I will take out your stony, stubborn heart and give you a tender, responsive heart. 
Ezekiel36:26

Yes, Lord.

What about you? Do you have a "word" for 2016? I'd love to read it in the comments below.

Blessings Along the Path,
Mare

Sharing this blog with some of these lovelies




12 comments:

  1. I see you're up early as I am. Bravo on your New Years word and on already completing what would have been your New Years resolutions. You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great catching up with you, Thea. Our conversation spurred me on to further discipline and creativity!

      Delete
  2. Mary, what a great word! I loved your always honest thoughts. Gotta admit, I share with you that *judgmental* bent that I don't like at all. Ew...just ew. And service is a great way to wean us of that tendency. I have no doubt that God is going to widen His boundaries in your heart this year. Teaching you a heart like His. Some of that journey is going to be painful, for we never yield the sinful nature without a struggle. But God delights in stretching us.

    My word is also going to stretch me, as it does not come naturally. But, I am so sure that this is where God wants to work in me, that I'm looking forward to the journey (I think...mostly). I'm shameless, I'm not going to tell you what it is - I'm going to humbly request that you hop on over and let me know what you think!!

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did that already! I'm "grateful" that I did...

      Delete
  3. I think your word and focus for this next year is so wise and perfect for where you are Mary. And I also love your humility and candor--all wrapped up in the funniest blogger I know!

    I mentioned my word for the year back at MM and am somewhat afraid and unwilling to release certain things like visiting every blogger who comments at my space. I will do it in time, but it's not going to happen for me overnight. Btw, I've been encouraged by Becky Kopitzke (a fellow blogger) to attend the She Speaks conference of 2016. It's in mid-July and my hubby immediately told me I ought to go. So I'm trying to encourage other bloggers to join me. You don't live too far from where it's held - near Charlotte, NC. Any interest or availability? It would be so fun to meet face-to-face and cheer each other on in our speaking and writing goals. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll email you. I don't even know if you get notifications regarding my response.

      Delete
  4. Nice to meet you, Mary! I love your word and the reason behind it. I, too want my heart to beat in tune with God's. But I also realize that there's a lot of me to get rid of and whittle away before it becomes like breathing. May God be with you on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is that way in all of us, because we are fallible human beings. We can only continually work toward that heart, and hope that lots of times we make it! Thank you for visiting.

      Delete
  5. What a great word for 2016, Mary!

    And, isn't it sweet of the Lord to give you a word so readily compatible with the way He knit you together. If God gave me that word, I would be in trouble. My love languages are words and time!

    Found your post today on FaithnFriends.
    Hope you have a blessed weekend~
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the Lord does that, doesn't He? Gives us words, ministries, tasks, etc according to the way He knit us together. Thanks for reminding me of that, and thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  6. I love the way is working on so many of us this year. My prayer is to dig deep down into HIs love and to get better at extending it to others. It's all about grace. In me and with His help, through me. Blessings to you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. To have a heart like God for the year is awesome. I'm sure anyone who can have it will go a long long way. I wish you nothing but great things this 2016.

    ReplyDelete