Monday, March 14, 2016

Where Was God? Where Were You?

How could God let this happen?

What kind of a God allows this?


Where was God when (fill in the blank)? 


People are so quick to blame God when things go wrong, when bad things happen, and when they feel abandoned. So it only seems fair that the same God who is too often (erroneously) blamed for all the bad and wrong would receive credit for the same amount of good and right that happens in the world.


Sadly, that's not the case, as we well know.


What about you? Has God received as much credit as blame in your life?


When all went wrong, you asked, "How could God let this happen?"
But when all went right, did you also ask, "How could God let this happen?"

When all seemed unfair, you asked, "What kind of a God allows this?"

But when the scales tipped in your direction, did you also ask, "What kind of a God allows this?"

When you suffered loss, you demanded to know, "Where was God?"

But when you were given incredible favor, where were you

Where were you when you won, when you were chosen first, when you were loved beyond your wildest dreams, when you were the center of attention? Where were you when all was right in your world and God was beside you, rejoicing with you? Did you stop to thank Him, to praise Him or to even acknowledge Him? Did you not think that the same God who stood by you when all was right and good would not still be right there when everything fell apart?


Let's stop abusing the power of God. 

Let's stop making God responsible for all that goes wrong, because the truth is God isn't responsible for most of it. We are. Evil is. Sin is. Circumstances are. Things happen. People make poor choices that affect others. There are a million different reasons why God should NOT be blamed, yet we blame Him anyway because we don't have answers. God is not our scapegoat. He is our Creator.  


Let's let Him be so, and give Him the honor due His name.


Why would God create and then destroy the same things He loves? Would you do that to your children? Of course not. Neither would God. 



If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heave, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 
2 Chronicles 7:14

Humble yourself in the sight of the Lord, and He shall lift you up.
James 4:10

P.S. I know there may be someone reading this who may have lost a child or been given a cancer diagnosis or something equally devastating. Please understand...I'm not diminishing your pain. When our world is turned upside down and we lose those we love, we struggle to make sense of it, and we long for an answer, an explanation, a reason. But please don't blame God, and please don't misunderstand my point.


Blessings Along the Path,
Mare

Sharing this blog with some of these lovelies  

6 comments:

  1. I've always asked this when I was in a certain phase in my life.
    Then I realized God's there. He's always been there. I'm the one blocking Him.

    Beautifully written. May this bless more people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes, I've asked this question many times while I worked through the pain and grief of childhood sexual abuse. **I wrote a blog post on it** Through my healing, I realized that God never intended for me to be assaulted as I was so many times. He didn't want that to happen. It broke His heart and I know He wept. I also realized that He gave this world free will. And with that free will, came the choice to live righteously or to sin. It seems we only want free will when we want to do whatever we want, but when we are hurt or tragedy comes, we don't want it...for whomever caused the pain. Finally, I also realized that God can use ANYTHING for His glory. He can redeem and re-purpose anything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aimee, I'm so glad you posted this comment. I hope and pray that if someone has experienced anything like you did, they'll gain hope from your comment. You certainly have the right attitude. We have a choice-victim or victor. The key thing is exactly what you said--everyone has free will, and that means that sometimes others are sinned against. And I so agree with "It seems we only want free will when we want to do whatever we want, but when we are hurt or tragedy comes, we don't want it...for whomever caused the pain." So true! Thank you so much for taking the time to sit awhile!

      Delete
  3. Oops...and meant to say - Thanks for linking up with Grace and Truth! I guess I am still getting used to my new role;)

    ReplyDelete