Wednesday, May 4, 2016

If Shoes Were Cars

My son owns a landscape construction company (and I work for him). Every year he buys two or three trucks to add to the fleet. This year he bought a tandem. In case you don't know what that is, it's basically a really big truck.

The day he brought it home--or to the yard (the truck's home), all the men oohed and aahed. The other landscapers salivated and grew green with envy (although green--and growing are both good in this business).

Sometimes the men forget that I'm a woman and start talking about engine parts, tires, and vehicle performance. I stare at them vacantly, just like they do when I talk--in general.

I suppose that's what it's like for men when women talk shoes.

My husband owns five pairs of shoes. Two standard interchangeable ones for work, two pairs of sneakers and one pair of hiking boots. That's it. My daughter owns 40. Her ex-boyfriend sold most of her nice sneakers to a crackhead that he worked with, so she "only" has about five. 

I don't know--or care about--the difference between a Ford F-350 and an International 550, except that one is bigger. But I have learned that there are various types of trucks that are useful for different kinds of work.

Just like shoes.

If trucks were shoes, I would understand their purpose so much better. And I could pick them out in a vehicular lineup.

That gets me thinking. What if shoes were trucks? Or cars? What would they be?


Let's start with work boots. Made to protect your feet while you get a job done. They're meant to get dirty and take a beating. Hummer material. A tank for the everyday person.

Hiking boots? They're like tandem trucks or other, similarly large dump trucks. Really big trucks meant for the long haul that can withstand all sorts of weather.

Cowboy boots. A pickup truck of course. With a rifle rack in the back window.

Rain boots however, should not really be in the "boot" category at all. They're sissy boots. Playthings. Who even wears those anymore? Rain boots? Smart Car. Who even drives those?

Sneakers are tricky because there are ordinary, everyday ones (like Sketchers), walking shoes (New Balance),and Cross Trainers (Adidas, Nike, and Reebok). And then there are the sneakers for serious athletes, like Under Armour and...well, I don't know because I'm not a serious athlete. Keds are sort of like rain boots--play sneakers. No support. You wear them because you either want to look like Taylor Swift or pretend you're still living in the 1950s--which I think she also did when she was dating that Kennedy boy. And then there are designer sneakers, none of which I know. But Amy (my daughter) would. Or the crackhead who bought them from her ex-boyfriend.

I'm going to play the diversity card here. Okay, so it's the easy way out. But seriously, sneakers go from Keds to...those designer ones. So basically, they could be any car. But not a truck. And always a mid-line model, because that's what sneakers are. They're sort of in the middle of the shoe category as a whole.

Loafers and other sensible flat shoes that you'd wear to work: Chevy Malibu. No further explanation.

Orthopedic shoes? Take a guess...

That's right. A Buick.

Then there are sandals. Fun summery footwear. Flirty. Cute. Kind of basic. Definitely Jeep Wrangler or Mini Cooper.

Flip flops? They don't even count as shoes. They're rubber cut outs. I'll be nice and say moped, but I'm prone to think that they're more in the bicycle category.

Now we get into our dress shoes. There are the ones you buy at Kohl's, Dress Barn, and Marshall's (can you tell where I buy mine?). These are akin to a Toyota trying to be a Lexus, a Volkswagen attempting to imitate an Audi and a Nissan copying an Acura. No one quite knows which one it is until they get close.

Then there are the real deals. The Christian Louboutin (I had to look up the spelling, so you know I don't have any of those in my closet, although I know my daughter does), Manolo Blahnik (yup, had to look that one up too), and Jimmy Choos--to name a few. Contrary to what you may think (based on the above paragraph), these are NOT the Lexus, Acura or Audi. Well, some are. But mostly, these shoes are the Mercedes Benzes, Beemers, and Porsches (um...I had to look that one up too) of footwear. 

I think I may have discovered a Rolls Royce here. Oh, please, don't pass this by. Click on it. By the way, you know you've encountered something expensive when the item does a 360 degree turn on the page all by itself. 

If you're too lazy to click on the link, I'll tell you what you missed: 

Christian Louboutin crystal leather pumps. 

Made with real Swarovski (had to look that one up too. I can't even pronounce it) crystals and genuine leather--not the fake stuff I buy. It's got a padded insole, which is good because the heel is almost 5" and probably only a quarter of an inch thick. Even if I could afford them, I wouldn't be able to walk in them.

The price tag? $3,995.00. But the good news is that if you register your e-mail address with Saks, you get a 10% discount! That's $400 off, bringing the price down to only $3,595.00.

I could by a crappy used truck for that and get a lot more mileage out of it. Then maybe I'd be able to talk shop with the guys. As for them talking shoes? Well, my guess is that every one of them has the same number of shoes in their closet as my husband. 

I'm better off learning to talk shop.

Blessings,
Mary
















3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I am holding my sides, split open by laughing!! This was too, too funny - and oh so clever! Yeah, what is it with guys and shoes?! Do you remember Imelda Marcos, the wife of the former dictator of the Philippines? When he was ousted and their palace overtaken, they found over 3,000 pairs of shoes in her closet. That's like having enough to wear a new pair every day for almost 10 years!!

    I have my share of shoes. I think it's a moderate amount. But most of the time I wear my flip-flops. Since my hubby owns a Jeep Wrangler, and you have categorized that as a sandal - and since we take the top off of it and drive around topless (ahem) during the warm months - I think our topless (!) Wrangler qualifies as a flip-flop!!

    As for those Louboutin shoes. Pretty, but pretty dumb expensive. Besides the fact that i couldn't afford them (or want them) in the first place, if I ever did own a pair and tried to walk in them, I'm sure that I'd end up spending 10 times that amount in hospital bills after I fell off of them.

    Yup.

    Shoes, shoes, beautiful shoes.

    Maybe going barefoot is better...

    (What are feet? Maybe the car from The Flintstones??)

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. My children needed to fill out a form earlier today and found a business that hosts lots of sample forms . If others are wanting it too , here's http://pdf.ac/6fOXCF

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL.
    Oh, wow. That sparkling shoes and car though. I'm not vain enough to buy expensive shoes though, so I think I understand if some guys don't get it. :)

    ReplyDelete