Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Say "Yes" to God's Pop-ups

I don't like pop-ups. 

When I'm reading something on a website, I don't want to be interrupted by ads or suggestions that I sign up as a subscriber. Sorry, fellow bloggers--I get what you're doing; I've been told to do the same in order to build my following--but I find it annoying and intrusive. If I'm interested, I'll take the time to sign up on my own, without any prompting. And if I have to keep playing dodge-ball on your site, then you've probably lost a potential subscriber. Chances are, I'll click off your site before I've had an opportunity to read your content.

But what happens when God interrupts like that? I guess you could say that a holy pop-up appears in my thoughts. Or a "God-portunity" to serve breaks my routine. 

Yes, I admit--I often find it annoying and intrusive.

Come one, admit it---sometimes you do too, right?



God's pop-ups often come at the most inopportune times and invade our comfortable routine, don't they?

It's those Holy Spirit moments--those thoughts that pop into your head and you say, "Where did that come from?"

Go visit that person.
Pay for her groceries.
Buy him a cup of coffee.
Call her.
Encourage him.
She likes your earrings. Take them off and give them to her.
He needs a friend. Invite him to join you.
Why don't you cook a meal--or a few--for that neighbor--yes, that one--the grouchy one you don't like.

Sure, He speaks to us about lots of other things too, but it's those pesky acts of service--those things that require us to get out of our self bubble and be "Jesus with skin on"--that we'd prefer to have advance warning about. 

But that's not always how God works. He likes to disrupt our thoughts and interrupt our plans. 

We can play dodge-ball with those thoughts, hoping that the pop-ups will stop if we click on the little 'x' to close the box/thought. But if it's a God Pop-up, it will most likely return. And there's only so much avoiding you can do with the Holy Spirit. Eventually, you have to say "Yes, I will," or "No, thank you. I'm not interested."

Hmmm...have you ever offered the latter response?

I have.

I felt sick afterwards. 

It's not a pretty thing to say "no" to God. He gives us that option, of course. But the times when I have ignored His promptings have always resulted in a feeling of disappointment and deep remorse in my spirit. 

To know that I not only missed an opportunity to bless someone, but a chance to receive a blessing as well is only part of it. 

To know that I let God down feels a hundred times worse.

And then there's the realization that He's moved on to the next willing participant. God asked me, I said "no," so He moved on. If I say "no" enough, will He simply begin skipping over me altogether? Think of the missed opportunities!

My last post dealt with accepting ourselves where we are, and not beating ourselves up over what we may or may not have done to further our Christian walk.

This is one of those times. 

God doesn't force us to do any of those things I mentioned above. He granted Adam and Eve free will, and the last I checked, that's been passed down through the generations to us.

Rather, he invites us to join Him where He is already working.

I was first introduced to that concept when I took part in Henry Blackaby's Experiencing God Bible study some twenty years ago. It's probably one of the only take-aways from a Bible study that I never forgot, maybe because it makes such perfect sense.

The next time the Holy Spirit interrupts your thoughts and disrupts your plans, will you desperately seek to click out of that pop-up box, finding it an annoying interruption, or will you snap to attention in delight, and welcome the change in plans? Think of the double blessing--the one you'll be and the one you'll receive.

Say "yes" to the pop-up. Say "yes" to God today.

Blessings Along the Path,
Mare


Sharing this blog with some of these lovelies 

9 comments:

  1. This brought back distinct memories of God interrupting my life and thoughts. And yes, I have a pop up box on my blog. Sorry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need to be sorry, Vickie. If it's working for you, go for it. Not everyone shares my sentiments. Some folks just move around it and some say, "Wow! Look at that...yes, sign me up!" I guess that's also indicative of how some people respond to God's pop-ups, huh?

      Delete
  2. What a great post - and so cleverly crafted around pop-ups! (I do have one on my sight so beware lol). This is the second post today that I've run across regarding the prompting of the Holy Spirit - I feel a "God-Portunity" prompting here somewhere!

    We have a tendency to think that the interruptions in our lives are just annoyances when really, they're designed by God for a perfectly good reason - to catch our attention and get us to do His will and not ours.

    Love this so much. I'd like to feature on my blog next Tuesday Talk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow, thank you, Ruthie! I'm honored. I haven't been blogging as much as I used to, and even now, I'm not "partying" as much as I did before (linkups...just in case I didn't make that clear!). I'm sure glad I did link up with Tuesday Talk this week so you could be blessed!

      Delete
  3. Great post! I totally agree about pop-ups on blogs being annoying. It is easy to see pop-ups from God in the same way. I get too focussed on my own plans at times. But when we do obey it blesses us as well as others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carly. Sometimes, it takes a pop-up for God to get our attention! And yes, we are always blessed as well, right?

      Delete
  4. Love this!!!!!!!!!! I love your humor...can we meet for coffee? LOL. I will let these words sink in today. They need to, and I need to remember that Jesus, as tiresome as it was at times, allowed himself to be interrupted. Your neighbor @ #TellHisStory

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depends, Meg--if you live in NJ, sure...but you do know that this is an interruption of my plans, right? haha. Thanks for the kind words.

      Delete
  5. Excellent article. Yes, I've said not now too, and you are right about that sick feeling.

    ReplyDelete