Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Tap Into Your Potential

Take delight in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart.
Psalm 37:4


I love watching shows that showcase untapped talent. You just never know what will come out of people!

I found a few videos from these shows recently and was truly amazed. 

A fourteen year old girl who had never sung in front of a large audience was so shy that the judges (X Factor, I believe) were nervous for her! They reminded her that she would be singing in front of a lot of people and asked her if she was sure she knew what she was doing. I suppose they didn't want her to embarrass herself. She blew them away. You can view it here.



When Beau Dermott told the coaches of Britain's Got Talent she would be singing Defying Gravity, Simon rolled his eyes or gave some sort of snarky smirk, as if to say, "That's a tough one. Good luck."

It was flawless. She was rewarded with the golden button or whatever it is that takes you directly to the finals. Watch it here. She'll give you goosebumps.



One of my favorites was Panda Ross from the X Factor. She explained that her mother was in jail when she gave birth and her cell mate was white. Somehow, the name Panda came out of that. Funny? Maybe. She got a laugh. But when she opened her mouth? Wow. I searched my brain for the right word to describe her voice, and Simon nailed it--legend. She sounds like a legend. Watch the video here.




Then there's We (sorry, there doesn't seem to be a way to add an accent on the 'e'; it's pronounced "way.") McDonald from this season's The Voice. A girl from my state--New Jersey, who was bullied all her life for her looks and high, squeaky voice. I don't know how it's even possible, but she has a low, sultry singing voice. Bet those bullies are singing a different tune now. She is by far my favorite. Watch her blind audition here.



What's inside of you that might surprise people? Maybe you can't sing like these women, but each one of us has something planted by God that the world needs to hear, see, and experience. And like these women--unknown to the world but no surprise to God--we just need someone to believe in us to make it grow, flourish, and bloom. 

What is crying for release in you? What makes your heart sing? Search inside yourself to discover what needs to be heard. Delight yourself in God while you do it. Ask Him to show you if you're not sure, and trust that He will.

Then sing it. Write it. Speak it. Paint it. Play it. Teach it. Build it. Organize it. Sell it.

Go long. Go wide. Go deep. But go. Even if you start out with baby steps. GO!

Don't pay attention to the rolling eyeballs. Those who scoff, "Good luck with THAT!" People who think because you look or sound a certain way, you couldn't possibly possess what it takes. All the more reason to go--to prove them wrong! 

Don't listen to the voices--whether they be your inner critic, the enemy of your soul, or bitter people who never realized their dreams and project that failure onto you. 

Surround yourself with those who will encourage, support, and nurture your dream, your desire.

Not everyone is born with natural talent that needs no fine tuning. In fact, most aren't. We often see or hear the product of years of training and think, "I could never do that."

Yes, you can! Maybe not like they can, because you're not them. You are capable of doing it like you can, because you're you. Your dream is uniquely yours, and the world needs your voice, your story.

Start small. Take a class. Buy a book. Research. Observe others who are doing what you want to do. Ask them to help you realize your potential. After all, that's part of the cycle. We all need to invest what we've learned in others who are longing to be taught. If they're unwilling, find someone who is. But don't give up.

Will you have setbacks? Probably.
Will you fail? Maybe.
Will you doubt yourself? Most likely.
Will it be scary? Absolutely!

But if you allow that untapped talent to go to waste, you're doing a disservice to yourself, the world around you, and God.

Yes, God.

He is the one who put the desire and the talent in you. You're the one who turned it into a dream, and you're the one who decides whether to let it blossom or be squelched. 

The more you delight in God, the more those heart desires grow, and the more they grow, the more you'll delight in God, until His is the only voice you'll hear.

Don't be content to just follow your dream. 

Chase your dream if it moves too fast. 
Pull it along if it's resistant. 
Coax it if it's hidden. 

But don't let it die. Don't let it be squelched. 

And don't let ANYONE tell you it's wrong, bad, or stupid. 

If it's in you, it's yours, and it's good. Because when God made you, He said, "It's very good."

Go show the world.

Blessings Along the Path,
Mare



sharing with some of these lovelies



16 comments:

  1. I'm feeling mighty inspired after reading your post! I love watching those singing shows-- to hear that untapped talent and the way they put their own spin on familiar tunes. And we all have something inside of us that God has planted and is watering and waiting for us to share with the world- even if we think it's already been said, done, made, written. God made us all unique in our own ways and if we seek Him first, nothing is impossible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, Heather. It's given to us by God, but it's up to us to make the decision. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Oh my word, what an encouraging post!! Thank you for cheer, the push, and the great music : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bethany. I'm glad you were encouraged.

      Delete
  3. Well, aren't you in major cheerleader mode, Mary! I love this and your heart to put that spark back into the weary steps of those who feel their dreams are too big or too far. I have a some dreams that are unfulfilled for sure, so this really encourages me as well.

    I know you've pulled back from blogging a bit to devote yourself to some writing projects, right? If so, how's that going for you? It's always good to see you in the round up and here at your own spot. Hugs and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Yes, I do love being a cheerleader. I suppose I'm making up for the fact that I never thought I was cheerleader material in Junior High. I have pulled back, yes. But I don't want people to forget me, so I try to blog once a week or once every couple weeks. When I'm inspired. I don't force it. The novel is in the home stretch. I see the finish line, but it keeps moving! How's your book coming along?

      Delete
  4. This post is such wonderful encouragement! We need someone to believe in us, even if it's ourselves! Thanks for your words today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! The videos were amazing, I had never seen any of those people perform!
    Encouraging and uplifting!
    You blessed me today!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you were inspired Julie. So many of us live in obscurity with no idea what to do with our talents and gifts!

      Delete
  6. This goes right along with a lesson God has been stirring in my heart. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary, This is sooooo good! Inspiring and encouraging. Thanks for this . . . I needed it! Blessings to you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb. Your posts inspire me daily. Blessings back at you!

      Delete
  8. Mary, this is wonderful! Such encouragement to get my day started....loved it! And so happy to have you at Fresh Market Friday...Welcome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you were encouraged, Crystal. I'm new to your linkup, but am enjoying it. Very excited to be a part of the secret swap!

      Delete